The old-school anime DVD/BD news thread.

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Re: The old-school anime DVD/BD news thread.

Post by llj »

S'More doesn't have a clue. All people wanted was average video quality and normal soft subs. THAT IS IT. They couldn't even do those things properly. It's no wonder this release failed. They also underestimated how much of the target consumers they lost when word broke out about how shoddy their release was going to be. GE999 buyers were always going to be internet savvy and limited in numbers. By tripping over their shoelaces right of the gate, they lost their target consumers before the set even hit stores. It astounds me how some companies today still underestimate the power of the internet. It may not be as much of a factor in the mainstream, but for niche products like this, every sale counts.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

This is true. I don't think they really realized just how dedicated the fans of GE999 really ARE when they bought the option. They probably thought that they'd release it cheap and kids would eat it up...not knowing that kids today have literally no interest in old stuff like that. ;P
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

...or in watching anything subtitled, for that matter. The bottom line is that if you don't take your customers seriously, they won't take you seriously. I can't take S'Mores seriously because they named their stupid company after a campfire snack.

I hope somebody else can obtain the rights to Three-Nine and do it soon so that I can own a proper DVD release.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
danth
Anime Fan Since: Robotech

Post by danth »

Thinking about double dipping on some Discotek titles if the video quality is better than the DVDs I already have. Mainly wondering if I should replace my Venus Wars and Golgo 13 DVDs. Does anyone know if the Discotek versions are superior?
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

The Discotek DVDs are usually the best versions of these movies on DVD, in terms of picture quality. Discotek's Golgo 13 has the original credits intact for the first time in North America, too. Plus, it's anamorphic, unlike the previous DVD versions.

Venus Wars is based off the master used for the Japanese BD, so it obviously looks great.

In a few cases, the Discotek version is the best version around the world, period. Discotek's Locke the Superman is the best version anywhere, as the Japanese DVD release came out in 2000 and wasn't anamorphic. They managed to get a remastered version that Nippon obviously haven't released in Japan yet.

The only caveat is that Discotek often uses single layered DVDs so some of their DVDs have fairly low bitrates. The masters they use are top notch, but the really picky video fanatics can sometimes pick out artifacts in certain high motion scenes. I personally don't notice them unless I pause the picture.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Yeah, I watched Venus Wars during my winter break and mailed it to a friend of mine, with the intention of replacing it with the DiscoTek version. The anamorphic feature alone is reason enough replace the old one, I think. There were some other issues with the DVD I noticed, but I should have mentioned them at the time I watched it because I've forgotten already.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
whitesnake
Anime Fan Since: 1980

Post by whitesnake »

Right Stuf's Nozomi Entertainment just sent out email announcements for the following to be released on dvd on July 9th.

The Rose of Versailles Part 2 Limited Edition, with the final 20 episodes of the classic anime series. Extras include an interview with the series director Osamu Dezaki and an art booklet.

The Irresponsible Captain Tylor Complete TV Series as a Litebox-style dvd set.

Kimba The White Lion Complete Series (52 episodes) in a collectible art box. For more info, visit kimba.rightstuf.com.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

"Maiden Japan" (which I honestly haven't heard much about) has picked up the licenses for Black Magic M-66, Ruin Explorers Fam & Iri, and the Patlabor TV series (as well as the OAVs): http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2 ... r-tv-anime

A little surprised to see Ruin Explorers get a re-release, it's really short and I don't recall it having a huge following (and it's still easily found on Amazon for less than $7). Black Magic M-66 I'm sort of happy about, mostly because the old DVD is on the expensive side now ($30 used?!) and it could probably use a picture quality update. I'm still hoping that eventually someone'll re-release Tank Police, I loved that back in the day.
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Post by kndy »

usamimi wrote:"Maiden Japan" (which I honestly haven't heard much about) has picked up the licenses for Black Magic M-66, Ruin Explorers Fam & Iri, and the Patlabor TV series (as well as the OAVs): http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2 ... r-tv-anime

A little surprised to see Ruin Explorers get a re-release, it's really short and I don't recall it having a huge following (and it's still easily found on Amazon for less than $7). Black Magic M-66 I'm sort of happy about, mostly because the old DVD is on the expensive side now ($30 used?!) and it could probably use a picture quality update. I'm still hoping that eventually someone'll re-release Tank Police, I loved that back in the day.
Maiden Japan is new...Section 23 films/Sentai Filmworks but the older stuff is released on the Maiden Japan label.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

oh ok, makes sense! :D