The old-school anime DVD/BD news thread.

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: The old-school anime DVD/BD news thread.

Post by usamimi »

GKIDs will be doing a new release of Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water, based on a new 4k restoration! https://gkids.com/2022/04/20/gkids-acqu ... lue-water/
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

Yes, i’d heard the Sentai Nadia blu-ray had problems. I own that blu-ray in fact and i haven’t even watched it yet...
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Oh that's a shame - I have those Sentai BRs, too and likewise, have not watched them yet. Hope the issues aren't too bad.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

I have the Sentai DVD set that I haven't watched yet. I guess for me if it plays fine i'll be good with that.
runesaint

Post by runesaint »

... I wonder how many of my DVDs that I have never gotten around to watching are no longer viewable...
@.@
llj

Post by llj »

Drew_Sutton wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 6:31 pm Oh that's a shame - I have those Sentai BRs, too and likewise, have not watched them yet. Hope the issues aren't too bad.
Oh, I don't think I heard the QC issues are too bad, but the materials used for the transfer were touch and go, so a new HD master was needed
DKop

Post by DKop »

runesaint wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:25 pm ... I wonder how many of my DVDs that I have never gotten around to watching are no longer viewable...
@.@
Mine has to be about 80 percent of what I own tbh lol.
runesaint

Post by runesaint »

DKop wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 4:09 pm
runesaint wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:25 pm ... I wonder how many of my DVDs that I have never gotten around to watching are no longer viewable...
@.@
As in you haven't watched 80% of your stuff, or you think 80% of your stuff has degraded beyond working?
DKop

Post by DKop »

runesaint wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 4:12 pm
DKop wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 4:09 pm
@.@
As in you haven't watched 80% of your stuff, or you think 80% of your stuff has degraded beyond working?
Its more the former. I buy stuff to want to watch it and ive had it for years (cough: Robotech media: cough). I thought you meant no longer viewable like its not in print/not even streaming online.
llj

Post by llj »

A lot of long older shows are a big time commitment. I usually buy them and stash them because many of the old anime I want tend to go OOP quickly, never to be reprinted again. Sentai's Ideon is one example--I'm glad I bought it just when Amazon was dropping the price for it, before it went out of print. You just can't assume they will be in print forever. Fortunately, Discotek is better at keeping most of their titles in print.