Urusei Yatsura: Dream My Friends Translator Needed

Especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Urusei Yatsura: Dream My Friends Translator Needed

Post by Animusubi »

Since I also go to Rumic World from time to time, I thought I would pass this along...

Rumic World Messageboard member Ezekiel000 is working hard on adapting the 1994 Sega CD game "Urusei Yatsura: Dear My Friends" for an English release and is looking for a translator for the project. If you or someone you know would like to translate this game from Japanese into English, click the link below, you'll find Ezekiel's email address in his first post.

http://perfectedition.yuku.com/topic/4795
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: Urusei Yatsura: Dream My Friends Translator Needed

Post by usamimi »

oh man, if I knew more Japanese, I would totally help out with this! ;3; I hope they can find some translators!
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Wow, I just picked up this game for the Sega CD on my last trip to Tokyo. It was made by Game Arts, the same company who brought us the Lunar and Grandia series. I have yet to put it in, but I've read that the rendered animation is done very well; better in fact than the Ranma 1/2 game that Masaya released for the Sega CD. I've seen some videos of the game on YouTube and I must say that the animation is done very well.

A couple of years ago, I agreed to help this one dude from Germany do translation work for the Super Famicom version of Metal Slader Glory, another text adventure game. So he gave me a straight dump of all of the dialogue in the game, and he didn't even know how it all worked together. He'd never worked on a SFC game before, and to make it worse, his English was terrible. I tried having a conversation with him on Skype once and it was a ruin. I eventually lost track of him and nothing ever happened with that.

But anyhow, I bought this UY game because I figured that I could understand the game and use it for language practice. I think I can perhaps volunteer to help work on it, at least on a part-time basis. I've done some manga translations and game video subtitles on my own. (you can find them on my homepage. Check out the translated Bubblegum Crisis and Rabio Lepus manga, and game translations in the Sengoku Blade article as well as the "I saw Sakura Shinguji naked twice" article (somewhat NSFW).) I've only read the first few volumes of the Viz manga long ago and I've only seen the first AnimEigo video of the TV series (I own some of the movies on LD, but have yet to watch them). I may be unfamiliar with some of the characters and such, but I've always thought that it would be fun to work on a game translation.

I don't have a ton of time these days due to my 4 year old daughter, studies, work, and other hobbies, but this classifies as Japanese langauge study! I've been able to pester my wife to help me before when I've been stumped due to slang and more vernacular speech you can't find in a dictionary. People always assume that being married to a J-girl, I must have this awesome study resource available to me. Perhaps Gaijinpunch can agree, as I have found that this is not really the case. Other teachers in my town I "work with" (they teach at different schools, so I only see them occasionally) have said the same, that their J-wives get grumpy and impatient with them, too, for asking for help with langauge studies.

So anyhow, sorry for rambling, but I will check out that link later when I get home from work. I am interested in helping, at least in some capacity!
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
greg

Post by greg »

I contacted the guy in charge of this project. He's given me some audio samples to help translate. I just played this UY game for the Mega CD a bit last night for the first time. I was only starting out at the beginning of the game, but it was very easy to understand. I'm sure the story will get more complex later on though.

Unlike most other graphical adventure games, this game is all speech with no corresponding text in a text window at the bottom of the screen. The Ranma 1/2 game for the Mega CD, for example, is a bit more traditional, in that it has text-based menus and text subtitles for the spoken dialogue (except for cutscenes). Instead of making this game a fan-dubbed game, he intends to program subtitles for the game. It also looks like it won't be made to be played on Sega CDs, but for computers instead. Interesting.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Wow, I've never heard of a game not having subtitles to go along with the audio. That's interesting! I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how they translate this game!
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
greg

Post by greg »

I've been so busy lately that I have not spent any time translating this project at all. Last week was both my wife's and my birthdays, we were traveling, I've been studying for both a Japanese driver's license and the JLPT N3 exam, etc. The part I was given to translate was the narrator's descriptions of characters that can be accessed in one part of the game. Unlike the regular narration, the narrator here speaks very quickly and uses a lot of words I am unfamiliar with. I just haven't been in the mood for it, since I will definitely need to involve my wife for this, and she's always so busy all the time.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page