The Lucky Finds bragging thread

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Re: The Lucky Finds bragging thread

Post by SteveH »

I'm sure this would completely explode the more OCD of us but I pulled all the gimmies and carefully bagged or filed them by show as reference material. My Macross file is well over an inch thick, closer to two. Zeta Gundam came close to that. I also tended to give away posters and stuff to friends because I knew they'd appreciate it more than I could.

I think my tale of magazine buying might need its own thread. :)
Path
Anime Fan Since: Circa 1993

Post by Path »

SteveH wrote:Did that Animage include all the bonus inserts? DAMN but the anime mags used to be just jam packed with cool stuff. Posters, Stickers, stationary sets, playing cards, more!

Seems so empty nowadays, last time I picked up a mag.
The furoku mentioned on the cover is missing (anime song book) but the insert manga and Nadia film comic (as well as the subscription card) are still attached.

The kiddy phonebooks in Japan still seem to have a lot of cute items included. I saw a Nakayoshi recently I should have picked up, it had a manga kit inside. Even the adult magazines seem to come with freebies, like tote bags.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

I got that Nakayoshi with the manga kit! Haha, I couldn't resist. For a freebie, it was really awesome. I took a pic of (almost) all the stuff it came with for a friend who was curious:

This was probably the fanciest furoku I've ever seen with a magazine, and I've been buying them off and on for years. :D

Oh, getting back on the topic of awesome finds: I went and traded in some stuff at our locally owned video game store recently and walked out with a complete collection of "Devil Hunter Yohko"! (The owner's an anime fan, so he carries a small amount of anime merch, as well as buying & selling used anime DVDs/blu-rays). Not a bad trade-off, considering it was all stuff I was trying to get rid off & couldn't sell. ;)
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Path

Post by Path »

usamimi wrote:I got that Nakayoshi with the manga kit! Haha, I couldn't resist. For a freebie, it was really awesome. I took a pic of (almost) all the stuff it came with for a friend who was curious:

This was probably the fanciest furoku I've ever seen with a magazine, and I've been buying them off and on for years. :D

Oh, getting back on the topic of awesome finds: I went and traded in some stuff at our locally owned video game store recently and walked out with a complete collection of "Devil Hunter Yohko"! (The owner's an anime fan, so he carries a small amount of anime merch, as well as buying & selling used anime DVDs/blu-rays). Not a bad trade-off, considering it was all stuff I was trying to get rid off & couldn't sell. ;)
Yep, that was the one. Man, I should have grabbed it, its so awesome isn't it? I used to buy phonebook manga all the time in the early 2000s, partially for the stories (Fullmoon wo Sagashite especially) but the awesome furoku definitely helped. I've long since run out of space to buy more, but I can't bring myself to get rid of my old issues. I'm actually still using the Mamotte Lollipop wallet pictured here for my loose change: http://www.avaneshop.com/product/japane ... llet-anime
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

I used to collect Nakayoshi like a FIEND when I lived in WA---they were easy for me to get because I could just go to Kinokuniya and buy it off the newstand. I even had some with Sailor Moon in em, back in the day! Sadly I sold most of my old ones a long time ago when I needed extra money. But funny enough, I got to do a trade with someone recently and she sent me a HUGE box of old 90s Nakayoshi back issues. (One of them has the very first chapter of Cardcaptor Sakura ever published. ;3; Ahhh, memories!!) I'm having a blast flipping though them again!
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Path

Post by Path »

No pics right now, but last weekend's flea market finds:

Ronin Warriors DVD 1
Nintendo Power volume 70
Protoculture Addicts 34 & 35
TMNT Tournament Fighters (SNES)
Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced (GBA)
The Asimov Chronicles by Martin H Greenberg
Ancient Ruins and Archaeology by L Sprague de Camp

I missed Ronin Warriors when it first aired, this will be my first time seeing any of it.
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Post by kndy »

More of a lucky price...but purchased this for $3.50 on eBay from an owner in Japan. No one bid on it but it's from 1980. All pages are in tact with slight discoloring.

SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Post by SteveH »

kndy wrote:More of a lucky price...but purchased this for $3.50 on eBay from an owner in Japan. No one bid on it but it's from 1980. All pages are in tact with slight discoloring.
Good catch, and it has enough yellowing to make me pretty sure it's vintage, not the reissues that Tokuma Shoten put out like 10 years ago.

There's some nice Yas chara art in there, and lots of stuff that will affirm that Original Gundam was really just a 'super robot' show with some fancy chrome and paint on it.

I am very sad that Tokuma Shoten has given up the Roman Album. I weep for all the shows that SHOULD have gotten the RA treatment and didn't, for whatever reason.
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

Path wrote:No pics right now, but last weekend's flea market finds:

Ronin Warriors DVD 1
Nintendo Power volume 70
Protoculture Addicts 34 & 35
TMNT Tournament Fighters (SNES)
Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced (GBA)
The Asimov Chronicles by Martin H Greenberg
Ancient Ruins and Archaeology by L Sprague de Camp

I missed Ronin Warriors when it first aired, this will be my first time seeing any of it.
Oh man, TMNT Tournament Fighters for the SNES is one of my favorite fighting games/video games! Nice find!

I loved Ronin Warriors, reminds me I need to get them on DVD too.
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Post by kndy »

SteveH wrote:
kndy wrote:More of a lucky price...but purchased this for $3.50 on eBay from an owner in Japan. No one bid on it but it's from 1980. All pages are in tact with slight discoloring.
Good catch, and it has enough yellowing to make me pretty sure it's vintage, not the reissues that Tokuma Shoten put out like 10 years ago.

There's some nice Yas chara art in there, and lots of stuff that will affirm that Original Gundam was really just a 'super robot' show with some fancy chrome and paint on it.

I am very sad that Tokuma Shoten has given up the Roman Album. I weep for all the shows that SHOULD have gotten the RA treatment and didn't, for whatever reason.
How long did the Roman Albums last? Looking through it, it's an amazing value for 890 yen...especially that I got it pretty cheap, a lot of pages!