So my manga hoarding has finally paid off (sorta)

Discuss manga, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles, and related sub-topics
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

So my manga hoarding has finally paid off (sorta)

Post by usamimi »

One of my friends follows the blog of "Miss Dream", a scanlation team that has taken it upon themselves to translate not only all of Naoko Takeuchi's Sailor Moon and Sailor V manga over the years, but anything Sailor Moon related--so they're basically trying to translate ALL of Naoko Takeuchi's works, finished AND unfinished.

Recently, they put out a post begging and pleading for anyone who might have an old copy of Nakayoshi that had the very last chapter of Takeuchi's "Toki-Meca!" before it got prematurely cancelled...imagine my surprise when I saw the cover and realized, "Hey...I have that!!"

When I was still living in WA, I bought issues of manga monthlies all the time, because Kinokuniya had them easily available all the time at their newstands. I seriously hoarded them (girl's manga magazines, especially XD) for ages. It got to the point once were my then-boyfriend-now-ex would periodically tell me that I needed to "throw them out." (I sold a few of them, and gave a couple away to friends, but the bulk of them stayed...I'm way too stubborn. :lol: )

So I got in contact with Miss Dream, and they agreed to BUY the magazine from me for a fair price, and now they'll finally get to scanlate the last chapter of the manga, since it was never published anywhere outside of that last issue of Nakayoshi it was in. I feel pretty awesome, because if I hadn't held onto that old stuff, they'd probably STILL be looking for it! I got a little money I can put towards some bills AND contributed to the fandom at the same time. It's a win-win for everyone!

I think this is why people like us (who've been in anime/manga fandom so long) are so important...without us, projects like this wouldn't get finished sometimes. ;)
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Re: So my manga hoarding has finally paid off (sorta)

Post by Animusubi »

Oh wow, it's awesome how things come together like that! I think that's why I might also refuse to give anything away sometimes, is because you never know when it might come in handy or you can share it with someone else.
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Yeah! I'm actually quite excited about that...I have the first (and only) tankobon of the series, and I kept the magazine originally because it had the "last" chapter (and it wasn't enough to warrant a second tankobon, obviously)...but now everyone will be able to have access to it, so I think it's worth letting it go simply to share with the rest of the world. :) (If I owned a scanner, I would've just tried to scan it for them, but this way they'll have quality control so it's probably best for everyone, lol.)
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

usamimi wrote:It got to the point once were my then-boyfriend-now-ex would periodically tell me that I needed to "throw them out."
It's a good thing you dumped your boyfriend instead of your manga. :lol:
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

RIGHT?! Hahaha! :lol: