Any Disneyland or Disney Nerd here?

Stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else goes here!
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Re: Any Disneyland or Disney Nerd here?

Post by greg »

Yes, the Secret of NIMH was pretty creepy for me as a child. The skies are all dark and red for the whole movie, until the very end you see a blue sky. The owl really freaked me out, too, especially the way it nonchalantly chomped that moth. There was a lot of talking about blood and threatening to kill others, and actually some characters died. Although I haven't seen it, my friend said that Bluth's All Dogs Go To Heaven is also pretty heavy, with the theme being about pets that die.

So, Wreck-It-Ralph is pretty cool then, huh?
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Heero
Anime Fan Since: 1980

Post by Heero »

greg wrote:So, Wreck-It-Ralph is pretty cool then, huh?
Wreck-It-Ralph is great if you remember retro (SNES/SuperFamicom and BEFORE) video games & arcades. (there are AWESOME fake commercials for the arcade in the movie on YouTube, the one for the title game seems like it could be a real commercial from the 80s, the other ones don't seem as "real" because the games would need to be newer so the retro tone doesn't fit) It's kinda scary (but totally believeable) that in America AKB48 singing a song on the soundtrack is a footnote that almost no one knows, but in Japan, I would not be shocked if Wreck-It-Ralph is popular largely BECAUSE "Sugar Rush" is part of the soundtrack.

(also, I love "The Incredibles" and it MIGHT be Pixar's best, but I don't think *I* can say that definitively because "Wall-E" is also very great. It's a testament to my preferences that both lose out to "Bolt" for me in terms of 3d animated fare)

edit:
Commercial referenced above http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF_LJfwFsE4
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

oooh, The Great Owl freaked me out, too. He was so creepy, plus he lived in that tree full of bones. o__o *shudders*

Wreck-it-Ralph is great if you've been playing video games for years. Lots of in-jokes, references, visual-gags & name-puns that have to do with games, characters, ect. And the story is really great, too--it doesn't seem like anything's just "tacked on", really. I want to get it on blu-ray when I get the chance, it's definitely one I want to own.

I honestly have a hard time picking ONE favorite Pixar movie because I love most of them for different reasons. "The Incredibles" I love because it's so smart and funny, "Finding Nemo" I love because it's got a lot of great one-liners, "Wall-E" I love because it's the only animated movie that actually made my father cry, etc etc. "Brave", while I don't think it was Pixar's best, it really resonated with me and my relationship with my mom I had as a kid, so I did enjoy it (even though it was kind of predictable.)
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
greg

Post by greg »

Heero wrote:edit:
Commercial referenced above http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF_LJfwFsE4
I love it! The game's title font is even the same as Donkey Kong's! That alone makes me want to watch the movie. They did an exquisite job emulating the blurs and tracking issues as if it had actually been recorded on VHS in 1982. It's like how G4's Movies That Don't Suck retro-style bumper spoofed the old ABC Monday Night Movie bumper from the early '80s.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Heero
Anime Fan Since: 1980

Post by Heero »

I just went back and watched the other commercials for games in the movie, haha, I didn't realize previously but the "Fix It Felix" commercial is set in 1982 and offers "2 free quarters on your birthday", the "Sugar Rush" commercial is set in 1997 and offers "4 free quarters on your birthday" and the "Hero's Duty" commercial is set in 2012 and offers "a double points Power Card", the map shown also gets more ornate, potentially also showing development around the arcade. Little details like that show just how much care was put into that movie.

Sugar Rush: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LEY2rO5Sl4
Hero's Duty: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBzNSMdcm2w
greg

Post by greg »

Thanks for the links! I watched some trailers for this movie. I was thinking of taking my daughter to see the movie, but she'll probably get scared during the Hero's Duty parts. Maybe I'll wait until she's 5 or so before I take her to her first movie.

Wreck It Ralph, or "Sugar Rush" as it's called here in J-Land, will be released in theaters at last on March 24th (my wedding anniversary, yay). Presale discount tickets at 7-11 can be bought. OR, the DVD will be released March 19th. I decided to order the DVD and get it sometime after the movie opens here. Then I can taunt my students with the DVD and make them jealous! Ah-ree-hee-hee!

I don't know why this thread is in the private discussion area. It should be in the Off Topic area, but I'm not sure how to move a thread. I need to learn how to do moderator stuff.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Post by kndy »

megazone wrote:I have had a annual pass for disneyland since 1998.
I am obsessed with Space Mountain.
Any disney animation film after Beauty and The Beast is CRAP!
Discussion?
Not really...although my friends who are head staffers at PMX... It seems like they are always there. Lol.. I feel like I sometimes rather hang out at Downtown Disney.
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

I went to my first movie at 3. All I can remember is that it had dinosaurs in it. From there, I was hooked on film. Went to Star Trek: Into Darkness the other day. Looking for a full summer season of movie going. Luckily, the movie theatre is a 5 minute walk down the street from my house which is a real bonus when going to late or midnight shows...
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Post by kndy »

Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

Dang. Didn't realize how high they were already. I haven't been since I was like 12 years old. Haha. Still wouldn't deter me from going but considering our Wild Waves here is like $38 for just a day (and it's the size of a flea, compared to Disney Land) it doesn't seem to bad. Though if you plan on going for several days, it's kind of a bit much, especially factoring in the plane tickets already being nearly $300 alone.
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram