Any recommendations for online image hosting?

Stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else goes here!
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Any recommendations for online image hosting?

Post by greg »

I find it hard to believe that I am able to upload hours and hours worth of videos to YouTube, yet both PhotoBucket and Flickr have maximum filespace limits on them. When I first started using Flickr, I was under the impression that the only limit was how much I could upload within a certain period of time.

Does anyone have something else they could recommend? Any that don't have filespace limitations? Flickr tells me that I need to pay $25 per year to keep uploading pictures. I don't even pay that amount each year for my own webhosting, and I have a terrabyte or so at my disposal there! I suppose I could start deleting photos from my Flickr account, but that will eventually become a PITA.

I wonder if there's some way I can incorporate a photo sharing service onto my domain name and just forget about Flickr and the rest altogether?
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Re: Any recommendations for online image hosting?

Post by _D_ »

Any way to adapt any of the Cloud file sharing outfits like Dropbox, Box, etc. into the system? I haven't found it necessary to use things like this other than the odd photo in Photobucket so I can't really help. Do you mean you want the video to play as embedded or just to be downloaded?
greg

Post by greg »

Not videos; just images. If I am to put images on my own homepage server, I'd have to create HTML, resize images, etc and do it all by hand. On occasion, I have done image galleries on my homepage, but I'm looking for a way to just upload image attachments and have it displayed and enable browsing and such.

Otherwise, an image service like Flickr and such that doesn't have some server limit and charge me a ridiculous amount of money each year.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
danth
Anime Fan Since: Robotech

Post by danth »

I use imgur. I don't know if they have a limit though.
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

I might have to go to imgur myself. I've been using Photobucket, but again, they want $25 a year for their "pro" service and that is a big WTF. I haven't gone over Photobucket's limits in a while so I can't see paying for it again - the only time I did go over their limit was when somebody ganked an image of mine and used it as their message board avatar image.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

greg wrote:Flickr tells me that I need to pay $25 per year to keep uploading pictures.
You can technically upload as much as you want to Flickr, but if you don't have their "Flickr Pro" account (what you pay the $25 for), it'll only show the most recent 200 photos or something like that.

I have Flickr, but I only use it for certain things. For just uploading things like for forums, sales stuff, whatever, I use either Photobucket or MyNetImages (http://www.mynetimages.com/). I think MyNetImages has a limit to 4 Gigs of hotlinking and 1 Gig of photo storage space, but for a free image site that's not bad.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Post by kndy »

I use Flickr as well...I do the $40 for two years I think. It's worth it, so you don't get dinged for bandwidth via hotlinking.

But if you want free...you can use Google+ and Facebook.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Well, Flickr just changed their set up so that every account (even free ones) get 1 terabyte of free hosting. :shock:
greg

Post by greg »

No way! I guess if they lose people to Picasa and such, their sponsors lose money, so they give us what we want. I haven't received any notification from Flickr. I'll log back in today and see if it still tells me crap about running out of space.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

It should be changed over for you, too. They didn't really give any sort of notification when it happened--I didn't get an email about it until just this morning, and my account got changed over yesterday.