What are you currently watching on tv?

Non-anime/manga-related TV, movies, books, and comics, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: What are you currently watching on tv?

Post by usamimi »

Recently I started re-watching Twin Peaks on Netflix because I seriously can't remember the last time I watched it (probably in 98 or 99, lol. I had a friend who had it all on VHS recorded off of TV XD). I really did like this series, and even the overly bad and/or dated stuff is still amusing.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

I love Twin Peaks. I saw "Fire Walk With Me" in a theater on opening weekend. I believe that's the most confused audience I've ever seen a film with. Usually people know what they're getting with a David Lynch film but I think there was an expectation that he'd tone it down for a film based on a popular TV show. SUCKERS!!
yusaku
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Post by yusaku »

I have been watching Orange is the New Black on Netflix. It is a little on the wild side. Yet, if you every wonder what prison life can be like, you might find it interesting.
***^__^***
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

davemerrill wrote:I love Twin Peaks. I saw "Fire Walk With Me" in a theater on opening weekend. I believe that's the most confused audience I've ever seen a film with. Usually people know what they're getting with a David Lynch film but I think there was an expectation that he'd tone it down for a film based on a popular TV show. SUCKERS!!
Twin Peaks is awesome. Haha, I never got to see the movie in theaters, but I bet that was a fun experience! XD
The show makes me strangely homesick for the Northwest, mostly because it was filmed in the Southern WA/Oregon area.

I've been meaning to start Orange is the New Black because I've heard great things about it, but I found out that Netflix just added the new eps of Breaking Bad finally, so I've been busy catching up before the final season starts later this month, lol.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Twin Peaks is great marathoned. Back in the day though, the episodes got very dragged out. It started feeling more like a soap opera and less of a paranormal drama. I stuck with it to the end, but my sister gave up on it. I think the network execs got happy with the show's status of being an evening soap opera, so they made the show focus more on typical evening dramas (who's sleeping with who, etc) and forced the resolution of the murderer of Laura Palmer prematurely. I believe David Lynch must have been very upset about this. The 2nd season isn't quite as memorable, but there were some great moments, such as more of that backwards-talking midget dancing around in the Red Room and David Duchovny playing a cross-dressing FBI agent.

I gave up trying to buy the series because they never released the show with the proper pilot, instead of the lousy European movie that tacked on an all-too-convenient ending on it. It was painful watching that; the whole pilot episode establishes all these characters and sets up for a big, long story, and then in the final ten minutes it rushes into the sudden apprehension of the one-armed man and such. I guess this was the official pilot used to pitch the show to networks, and it's identical to the pilot we saw on TV back in the day... up until that final few moments when suddenly, "Hey, the murderer was sighted in the basement of the hospital! Let's go get em, Scooby!"

The show was facing cancellation, so the ending of the series was a bit rushed, too. There was such a long build-up to the investigation of the Black Lodge, but in the last episode just pulled together all the loose ends waaaaay to quickly (we were used to the show dragging along at a snail's pace by then). The ending wasn't very satisfying, or at least warranted a movie to resolve the show more. But despite the movie featuring immeasurably cool David Bowie and Chris Isaak, it didn't really please. My problem is that I did not see the movie until it was much after I'd seen the show, so I couldn't remember the symbolism of the white horse and stuff like that. They made it a prequel, and everyone wanted a sequel! We wanted to see what would happen with Agent Cooper and Annie! IIRC, Lynch said he would make a sequel if Fire, Walk With Me did well, but it did not.

FYI, I named my cat Agent Cooper back in 1990. I was a big fan.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

Most of the shows I normally watch are out of season. So I've only really been watching the new Whose Line is it Anyways? which is still just as funny!
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

Friends sat and watched the entire run of episodes of Firefly recently. The movie theater is going to run Serenity at 7 PM on Monday August 12th, so we will be going to that. I have the series box set on DVD but I'm in no rush to dig it out and watch it. Too much other stuff on the go...
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

ryoran wrote:Most of the shows I normally watch are out of season. So I've only really been watching the new Whose Line is it Anyways? which is still just as funny!
oh yeah, the new Whose Line is good! I watched some of it and liked it. (Ok, maybe not as good as the classic series, but still fun to watch. Also I have a little girl crush on Aisha Tyler :oops: lol)
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

usamimi wrote:
ryoran wrote:Most of the shows I normally watch are out of season. So I've only really been watching the new Whose Line is it Anyways? which is still just as funny!
oh yeah, the new Whose Line is good! I watched some of it and liked it. (Ok, maybe not as good as the classic series, but still fun to watch. Also I have a little girl crush on Aisha Tyler :oops: lol)
I love Aisha Tyler, I fell in love her after watching Friends. She's so awesome. The new skit where they lay on the set is pretty hilarious.
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Yes! Haha, I love that one. They get pretty creative with it! XD