Today's finds

Stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else goes here!
Path
Anime Fan Since: Circa 1993

Today's finds

Post by Path »

Went to NYC today to go check out the Game of Thrones exhibit, which was of course very awesome. Got my pic on the Iron Throne. :D Then we hit our usual stops and (for once) I actually came home with a bunch of stuff.

From Bookoff:
Valkyrie Profile
Saga Frontier 2
Two more of those TV Manga Shudaika CDs with tons of 70s opening songs on them. I'm excited since they have some really obscure animes in there (Sougen no Shojo Laura, Huckleberry Finn, Jackie the Bear, Tentou Mushi no Uta, etc).

Maze OAV DVD
An Isaac Asimov book I don't have. That was enough reason to get it, lol. He, Tezuka, and Moto Hagio are the only people who I do that for.
Nanashi no Game, a DS game I've been looking for for a long time. Can't wait to try it out.

And from Kinokuniya:

Bride Story 4
Stargazing Dog
Both volumes of Adolf. I love how thick these beasts are. Once I run through Unico these are next on my list.

Anyone know any other good places in NYC for stuff like this? There used to be an Asahiya, but they went under several years ago.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: Today's finds

Post by usamimi »

I actually started a "finds" thread here: http://forum.animepast.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=331
Your pictures aren't showing up for me, though.

I get so jealous of people who live near Book Off! XD I seriously would love to shop there on a regular basis--I have a friend who lives near one in CA and she's always finding old, out of print manga there for super cheap.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Path

Post by Path »

Thanks, I'll post anything else I find over there. I can see the pictures on my end so I'm not exactly sure how to fix them...

I wish I could go to Bookoff all the time too. I do go to the city a couple of times a year, but its never enough. Plus I'm always taking old books and DVDs in to them for cash, and the piles get pretty big before I can get over there.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Oh now that I've said something, they load XD go figure. Must've been on my end then
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

Those CDs are outstanding. I think these days they're trying to pretend 'Sougen no Shojo Laura' doesn't exist.
Path

Post by Path »

davemerrill wrote:Those CDs are outstanding. I think these days they're trying to pretend 'Sougen no Shojo Laura' doesn't exist.
I feel the same way about alot of these old anime. Thats why I always try to pick up those kind of compilation CDs when I get a chance. I have quite a few (90% of them Bookoff finds) and in the past I would submit a lot of romanized lyrics to Animelyrics.com (anyone else remember them?).

I wish Sougen no Shojo Laura was available to watch somewhere. I'm a huge Little House in the Prairie fan and I'd love to see how it it ended up.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Surprisingly, animelyrics.com is still around, though the guy who started it ("Sailor Bacon", lol) no longer has a hand in it.
Path

Post by Path »

usamimi wrote:Surprisingly, animelyrics.com is still around, though the guy who started it ("Sailor Bacon", lol) no longer has a hand in it.
Yeah, but its a shell of what it used to be. If I remember correctly behind-the-scenes drama got the domain name taken away from Sailor Bacon, which included all the submitted lyrics.

Sailor Bacon ended up leaving because he took a job with CJayC at Gamefaqs, though I'm not sure if he is still employed there.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

They actually kept all the old submitted lyrics from before--if you look at some of the older ones, you can even see where it says he had to do some editing: http://www.animelyrics.com/anime/yohko/mhynight.htm

But yeah, I agree, it's not nearly as nice as it used to be. The site itself is so ugly and cluttered. :?