3DS/Vita....

Especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

3DS/Vita....

Post by kndy »

As a person who plays a lot of Japanese video games, I'm still struggling of whether or not to buy a 3DS XL. Has anyone found ways to play import games on it?

As for the PS Vita...I believe the US versions will play Japanese import game, but for those who play Japanese games on their Vita, which game do you recommend?
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Re: 3DS/Vita....

Post by Animusubi »

I'm actually very disappointed in Nintendo not allowing import games anymore. There's so much that doesn't get released in the US, and it would be a pain to buy two versions of the 3DS for it. >: I actually haven't picked up a 3DS XL because I'm waiting for Animal Crossing.

As for Vita, I haven't particularly found any games I want to get the system for either. Maybe I'm kind of falling out of video games. I still want a decent PS2. :lol:
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

As far back as the original Gameboy, handheld game systems have always been region free... until this newest generation. I've had it. I've already given up on the consoles of this current generation, and now I will give up on this new generation of handhelds. I am so tired of game companies these days.

IF I was to get a 3DS, I will likely get a Japanese one, just because I live in Japan. The one game that looks really cool for the JP 3DS is the Sega x Namco x Capcom game. It looks pretty cool.

Get yourself a JP PS2 and have fun. I never bothered getting a US PS2, b ut I wish I had one for the great RPGs for the system. Then again, that would cost more money, and I have more than plenty of unplayed RPGs for other consoles.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
kndy

Post by kndy »

I believe PS3 imports work on the US PS3 and Vita imports work on the Vita right? I know I can play Japanese games on my PSP and on my DS XL...but I figured that I'll need to get the new handhelds. For those in the US, Target will have a sale starting this Saturday ($20 off, so $179 for a 3DS XL). I'm tempted but at the same time, I want to play Japanese games on it. The majority of the games I play on handhelds are all imports.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

In that case, you should get an import 3DS. It just really aggrivates me that now of all times they've decided to region-lock handhelds. Actually, my friend told me that the Vita isn't necessarily region-locked, however it depends on the format of your memory stick or something like that. You can supposedly be able to play games from either region, however you will need to swap memory cards to do so. Other than that, I really can't say because I haven't investigated it much.

I really enjoy both my DS-Lite and PSP. I get more use out of my DS because it plays both DS and GBA games. Both systems have such an abundance of RPGs to keep me playing for quite a while, and there are still so many games for each I've yet to buy. i think I am satisfied with what I have already.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Yeah, I'm still bummed about Nintendo changing that, too...that was one of the things I absolutely loved about the DS systems. I have all of the Ouendan DS games because they're so much fun, but now if they ever do a 3DS one, I'll never get to play it because there's just no way I could afford to buy an import 3DS right now :(

The old PSPs could play Japanese PSP games, but now with the PSPGo and the Vita, you can't. Also pretty annoying, I had a couple of import PSP games that I liked, but other than that I haven't played much on the PSP since the Kingdom Hearts game.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

...meanwhile, I've pulled out my old Dreamcast...

or I could go down to my bud's computer store with the emulator running on the I7 MAME stand up arcade system and play over 6000 games...

Like one of these:

http://theath1ete.hubpages.com/hub/build-arcade

Just saying....
nordstar
Anime Fan Since: Mid 90's

Post by nordstar »

ah the Dreamcast, so many memoirs. My roommate bought one on launch. I still remember going to the mall to get it and then coming home and playing it. Let it be said that we got to work a little late that day. We played a lot of Bangai-O, ChuChu Rocket!, Crazy Taxi, DDR, Hydro Thunder, Jet Grind Radio, Marvel vs. Capcom, Phantasy Star Online, Power Stone, Shenmue, Silent Scope, Soul Calibur, Space Channel 5 and of course a lot of Drunk'n Bass Fishing.

Since He had got the Dreamcast I bought the PS2 on Launch. Which we used as a DVD player more than playing games in the beginning.
I think that the Dreamcast had stronger and more fun launch titles then the PS2. I got really board with the early PS2 titles. I like fun console games, I am more of a PC gamer anyway.
kndy

Post by kndy »

I decided to purchase a 3DS XL, I figured that my son wanted one for the newer Pokemon games, so I decided to bite the bullet. I have to say that I am impressed with the 3DS XL...I wasn't impressed with the original version but I'm enjoying the bigger size much more. But I have to many games on the DS to go through though....lol... Backlogged with games since the '90s!