Sega Dreamcast Love

Especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Re: Sega Dreamcast Love

Post by llj »

I agree on 3d fighters being less of a draw in some ways. I don't really like how Street Fighter IV plays, personally. I find it very sluggish, even moreso than the original SF2 in some ways. People say it's more "realistic" in the way the physics are handled, but this is Street Fighter, not Virtua Fighter. It's not about realism.

Still, even the DC has some of my favorite 3d fighters, the few that there are. Tech Romancer and DOA2 (imo the best console port is the DC version) come to mind. Tech Romancer is still a DC exclusive too, and a re-release doesn't seem to be on the horizon anytime soon.
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Post by kndy »

Sega Dreamcast was still used heavily for fighting game competitions (EVO) for "Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike" and for "Marvel vs. Capcom 2". Haven't been to EVO in a long time but when it coems to fighting games, it was great for games such as King of Fighters: "Dream Match 1999", "King of Fighters Evolution", "Jojo's Bizarre Adventures", "The Last Blade 2", "Project Justice", "Plasma Sword: Nightmare of Bilstein", "Power Stone" games, "Soul Calibur", "Street Fighter Alpha 3" to name a few.

But the game that I played the longest on it was "Shenmue"...I never bought the second game for it...opted for the Xbox version.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

I do like 3D fighters, such as Soul Calibur and Dead Or Alive. (I've always preferred DOA over Tekken and Virtua Fighter and I don't care much for those). I bought my PS1 for Soul Blade and my DC for Soul Calibur. I do like some 3D fighting games.

But for 2D fighting games using a 3D engine, a part of me just doesn't like that idea much.

Some DC fighting games I never got was Last Blade, as well as Mark of the Wolves. I never got KOF2002, either. 2001's character designs were butt-ugly.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
llj

Post by llj »

Mark of the Wolves was and is amazingly good. The animation is simply stunning, rivalling Street Fighter 3's animation quality at times, and on outdated technology too (at the point Mark of the Wolves was released, the Neo Geo arcade boards was technically out of date).

If you get the DC versions of Last Blade 2 or Mark of the Wolves, you obviously need to get the Japanese versions. The American versions of those games have censorship and sound issues.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Yeah, I hated American censorship of SNK's games. Metal Slug games replaced blood with water (sweat?), Mai's boobs don't bounce, etc. I won't bother with the US versions. They're probably expensive anyway.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
kndy

Post by kndy »

llj wrote:Mark of the Wolves was and is amazingly good. The animation is simply stunning, rivalling Street Fighter 3's animation quality at times, and on outdated technology too (at the point Mark of the Wolves was released, the Neo Geo arcade boards was technically out of date).

If you get the DC versions of Last Blade 2 or Mark of the Wolves, you obviously need to get the Japanese versions. The American versions of those games have censorship and sound issues.
I remember this so easily....it was near the end of the Dreamcast's life, this game just sat there. I wanted to buy it as I have owned a lot of KoF titles previously but it never went down in price. And by the time I was about to buy it, they removed all Dreamcast games (new games) from Software Etc. I then tried to purchase it on eBay but it was too high at the time.

I figured they would release it for PS2, which they did several times in Japan. But I guess it's on XBOX Live...but man, I dislike the XB/XB360 controller for fighting games.
llj

Post by llj »

I bought my DC copy of Mark of the Wolves just last year, and it was the Japanese version. It was quite a bit cheaper than the American version, and it doesn't have the same sound issues.

The Japanese versions of Last Blade 2 and Mark of the Wolves should be pretty affordable. There should be places online that sell them at a good price. Japanese editions of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure are quite pricey though.
kndy

Post by kndy »

llj wrote:I bought my DC copy of Mark of the Wolves just last year, and it was the Japanese version. It was quite a bit cheaper than the American version, and it doesn't have the same sound issues.

The Japanese versions of Last Blade 2 and Mark of the Wolves should be pretty affordable. There should be places online that sell them at a good price. Japanese editions of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure are quite pricey though.
To play Japanese games on a US Dreamcast, do you have to do the boot trick? CD-R loader and then switch discs?
llj

Post by llj »

kndy wrote:
llj wrote:I bought my DC copy of Mark of the Wolves just last year, and it was the Japanese version. It was quite a bit cheaper than the American version, and it doesn't have the same sound issues.

To play Japanese games on a US Dreamcast, do you have to do the boot trick? CD-R loader and then switch discs?
Yes. It also works if you have a gameshark disc. I bought a gameshark DC disc for $5.00 a few years ago.
kndy

Post by kndy »

Cool! I think I have one....or maybe it's play action replay. Will need to check!