Anime North 2013

Working on anything outside of this forum? Let us know!
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Anime North 2013

Post by davemerrill »

Anime North is coming up at the end of May and here's what I'm gonna be up to:

We'll be taking a look at Yusei Shonen Papi aka Prince Planet!

Shain and I will be digging our way through a big pile of Stupid Comics!

And I'll be plugging up lots of outdated AV equipment to show the kids how we did it in "the old days". You can see actual evidence of "laser rot" in that photo.

I'll also be doing Anime Hell late Friday night, which is not to be missed.

If you're in the Toronto area, come on down!!
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Re: Anime North 2013

Post by Daniel »

I still work with all the equipment shown in the last photo regularly. ;) Wish I could attend...
davemerrill

Post by davemerrill »

I'm going to be hauling the Selectavision down there as well, though it's not shown in the photo. I don't know if the Beta is coming back with me. While at Anime North it might get "lost".
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Post by SteveH »

davemerrill wrote:I'm going to be hauling the Selectavision down there as well, though it's not shown in the photo. I don't know if the Beta is coming back with me. While at Anime North it might get "lost".
Don't you dare abandon that Betamax! You KNOW that the moment you ditch it you'll discover something on Beta you forgot to transfer.

I still want to get my old Silvania VHS repaired. That beast was my first VCR, my workhorse. Crazy stable machine.

I have to say, I don't miss the hauling around 2-300 pounds of VCR, milk crates of VHS, and my 'box of accessories' which held not only actual tools but extension cords, dubbing cables, 50 feet of 75 ohm coax, power strips...
davemerrill

Post by davemerrill »

I'm getting rid of THAT Beta deck because I bought ANOTHER Beta deck, a SuperBeta, which works better and has more features and is generally super, thanks for asking. Lord knows I don't need 2 Beta decks. Anybody who wants this Beta deck had better come to Toronto and pick it up.
Daniel
Site Admin

Post by Daniel »

What model was that VHS deck, Steve? I love old equipment (and I still use the stuff all the time). I posted a picture of an old top-loader over here: http://forum.animepast.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=286

I have ED Beta decks lying around here...
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

At least you can still get Beta decks repaired in the Toronto area. I can get a lot of parts like idler tires and belts from a parts store in town here that still has a large supply (mostly VHS though) but no one to install them anymore. I'm only keeping the later model SVHS and D-VHS and SuperBeta decks if/when I find them. Ditto on later Pioneer, Sony, Toshiba DVD recorders. I think I have enough equipment for now. Could have scored a nice HD DVD player recently for $20 as well, the discs are less than a buck each around here but no more room to add anything. It's a pity...
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

AnimeSennin wrote:What model was that VHS deck, Steve? I love old equipment (and I still use the stuff all the time). I posted a picture of an old top-loader over here: http://forum.animepast.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=286

I have ED Beta decks lying around here...
Mine was/is a Silvania VC-3610, which looks to be a near dead-ringer for that Quasar pictured. There was also a RCA model that was the same. This was the model year that i/r wireless remote control was introduced.

Heavy beast. I don't miss hauling it around. :)
Daniel
Site Admin

Post by Daniel »

Ah, I see that our decks connect us as kindred spirits. ;) I do have some working top-loaders around here... I still use a lot of old, heavy video equipment regularly; it's a nice workout.

Say, you wouldn't happen to still have any old tapes lying around by chance, would you? Might send me a private message or an email if you did. I'd have something cool, perhaps wonderful even, in store for you...
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

AnimeSennin wrote:Ah, I see that our decks connect us as kindred spirits. ;) I do have some working top-loaders around here... I still use a lot of old, heavy video equipment regularly; it's a nice workout.

Say, you wouldn't happen to still have any old tapes lying around by chance, would you? Might send me a private message or an email if you did. I'd have something cool, perhaps wonderful even, in store for you...
I know of your Dragonball project and regret I can't offer any help there. I'm pre-Dragonball.

Otherwise, yeah, I've got tapes. lots of tapes. both dupes from off-air (and a very few 1st gen from Japan) and a bunch of commercial VHS, some I could let go of, some I would be loath to do so for foolish sentimental reasons. :)