Gundam manga essentials

Discuss manga, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles, and related sub-topics
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Gundam manga essentials

Post by kndy »

Hi everyone... You know, I want to start buying Gundam manga. I know there are plenty but what do you recommend? UC only!!!!
kndy

Re: Gundam manga essentials

Post by kndy »

I was looking at the Gundam 0079 Viz releases on Amazon and there are 9. Did they release the full series in the US? And because these are older manga released in the early 2000's, do these have less pages than current manga today?
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

I never got around to buying those 0079 manga books. Apparently there will be a Gundam reboot anime series based on that manga.

The one UC Gundam I wholeheartedly recommend is Ecole Du Ciel, which I made a topic for a while back. It bridges the events of 0083 and Zeta, and it is fantastic. Unfortunately, TokyoPop went under before they could release the whole series, so I'll have to read the final few volumes in Japanese. (I'm sure you can find scanlations somewhere, though.) Gundam: Lost War Chronicles was a 2 volume manga that was based around a Playstation 2 Gundam game. The artwork is by Masato Natsumoto, who also did artwork for the Record of Lodoss War: Heroic Knight Legend manga. I really like his art style, and I want to see more of his stuff.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
kndy

Post by kndy »

greg wrote:I never got around to buying those 0079 manga books. Apparently there will be a Gundam reboot anime series based on that manga.

The one UC Gundam I wholeheartedly recommend is Ecole Du Ciel, which I made a topic for a while back. It bridges the events of 0083 and Zeta, and it is fantastic. Unfortunately, TokyoPop went under before they could release the whole series, so I'll have to read the final few volumes in Japanese. (I'm sure you can find scanlations somewhere, though.) Gundam: Lost War Chronicles was a 2 volume manga that was based around a Playstation 2 Gundam game. The artwork is by Masato Natsumoto, who also did artwork for the Record of Lodoss War: Heroic Knight Legend manga. I really like his art style, and I want to see more of his stuff.

I'll probably give Ecole Du Ciel a chance, especially this new "Origin" manga that just was released in the US. It was released before by Viz but because the page count was higher in Japan, Viz released it with the less pages and never completed it. Now, Vertical is releasing it with the full pages.

My friend also recommended the novel version which was released in the US.

I don't usually read scanlations but I did check out mangafox to see the artwork just awhile ago and I'm glad that I didn't purchase the Gundam Cross one... the artwork was not for me.
greg

Post by greg »

So this re-release of Gundam Origin isn't flopped like the Viz release was, right?

Gundam Cross? I don't know what that is. There is Crossbone Gundam, which is somewhat related to F91, I think.

The Gundam novel that was translated by Frederick L. Shodt is rather different from the anime. All I remember is that Amuro is already in the Earth Federation military in the beginning, piloting a Core Fighter and such. It also went into the history of how Zeon Daikun was murdered by Zabi Degwin and such.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

No, Vertical's never released flopped manga. I've been meaning to pick up Origin, all the pics I've seen of it look like it's a really stunning release (and they keep talking about it possibly going out of print because they didn't get a ton of preorders, so they didn't print a whole lot).
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
kndy

Post by kndy »

greg wrote:So this re-release of Gundam Origin isn't flopped like the Viz release was, right?

Gundam Cross? I don't know what that is. There is Crossbone Gundam, which is somewhat related to F91, I think.

The Gundam novel that was translated by Frederick L. Shodt is rather different from the anime. All I remember is that Amuro is already in the Earth Federation military in the beginning, piloting a Core Fighter and such. It also went into the history of how Zeon Daikun was murdered by Zabi Degwin and such.

Hai! Crossbone Gundam desu! Not Gundam Cross!

I probably will need to get Gundam Origin, was trying to get a review copy from Vertical but I have never worked with a lot of these newer manga companies before.
greg

Post by greg »

Cool. I'd like to get this in English someday. I think Amazon Japan stocks English language manga, so I can get it from there. I remember seeing this released by Viz, but the flopped pages was a turnoff. I'm glad it's been picked up by somebody else and released properly!
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

greg wrote:Cool. I'd like to get this in English someday. I think Amazon Japan stocks English language manga, so I can get it from there. I remember seeing this released by Viz, but the flopped pages was a turnoff. I'm glad it's been picked up by somebody else and released properly!
Vertical's is hardcover with some color pages, too. I saw a vol on display in a bookstore and it looks really nice.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
greg

Post by greg »

Having just finished the Gundam TV show, I am interested in getting this Origin manga series. I can order the Vertical version through Amazon Japan. It is particularly great that Yoshikazu did the artwork for the manga, since he is the original character designer for the show.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page