Protoculture Addicts

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Protoculture Addicts

Post by kndy »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kndynt2099 ... 996060550/

If there was a publication on anime and manga that I enjoyed back then, because they were laid-back and was more fan-based in their earlier years, it would be "Protoculture Addicts" Magazine.

While I never was able to get issues #0 or #1-6 because of its availability, let alone, eBay prices for them have been quite expensive, just reading the letters from fans and their editorial was interesting.

Each issue during the earlier years, you can see how a group of anime fans from Canada would work on this publication, trying to balance college life with this magazine. They got a lot of support but also a lot of people upset with them because of unpredictable distribution at the time. But still, it was interesting how PA would transition from Robotech articles to more anime/manga.

You could see the shift as more people started wanting more inclusion of anime/manga articles and I also was fascinated by how PA would discuss the latest anime magazines that were being released as well (in this case, they really enjoyed "Animag").

But their interest in mecha didn't wane as they released "Mecha Press", although it only lasted less than two dozen issues.

Similar to Mangazine, "Protoculture Addicts" was a publication that was not ordered all that much (during its earlier years) by our comic stores. If you saw one issue, you know you had no choice but to buy it because they weren't getting anymore. At the time it was easy for me to purchase most of them, but when anime and manga became popular, somewhere around the 40's or so, even as more magazine issues were purchased, I never was able to find a copy (along with other anime publications which also became popular at the time).

While "Protoculture Addicts" was acquired by Anime News Network and the publications are now available via PDF/E-Zine, including it's final #97 issue, I never read PA when it got too popular. I think one time I picked up a #63 (which was a surprise to find at the store) but I never followed the publication from the #46 and on.

I'm assuming like other publications, during the heyday of the anime industry, they were obtaining more advertising but by 2007 or 2008 they were also affected by the crash of the anime industry. But perhaps others on here can discuss how Protoculture Addicts was in the last few years of its circulation.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: Protoculture Addicts

Post by usamimi »

Sadly, no one near me ever carried PA on a regular basis, so I only ever got my hands on two issues ever. :| Not really enough to make a totally sound opinion, but I did like what I saw. It did seem very akin to a fanzine at the time, which I thought was neat.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Path
Anime Fan Since: Circa 1993

Post by Path »

I never saw PA in stores, but I did pick up very old issues via Ebay in the 90s. They were the same style as that Ranma cover and man were they fun to read.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

I can't remember what my first issue was, but I know it had plot synopses of KOR episodes. There was an article on teaching English in Japan too, which was the first time I ever read about anything like that. I then decided that it would be interesting to do that after graduating, and what an adventure it would be. Now, it is no longer really an adventure, but a way of life for me. I guess I can thank Protoculture Addicts for originally introducing this to me.

I must have only owned about three issues ever, and Daniel bought those off me before I moved back to Japan. I seem to remember having that BGC issue pictured above.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Heibi
Anime Fan Since: 1976

Post by Heibi »

Still have my volumes that I bought when the anime bug truly hit me. I even have the volumes that you posted scans of.
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Post by kndy »

Purchased a few early Mecha Press on eBay. It was OK, I was never really into the tabletop gaming aspect of mecha. I was more interested in the coverage they gave to anime with mecha...
Anime-Kyo-Uk
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Post by Anime-Kyo-Uk »

Protoculture Addicts was one of my first Fanzines that introduced me to the Anime Fandom, and Japanimation that the US & Canadian Fans had already found. I think it was issue 5 that I picked-up first (I did get 2 & 3) and from then on my collection grew thanks to my Canadian Anime Pen-Pal David Genesse. My collection stops at issue 44, and to this day I still enjoy the articles.

If any of you can help with the project below, that would help us all!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... /Magazines
Attachments
proto_2sm.jpg
proto_2sm.jpg (91.13 KiB) Viewed 4031 times
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

What am I supposed to be looking at in that list? Issues? Articles? Covers?
Anime-Kyo-Uk
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Post by Anime-Kyo-Uk »

_D_ wrote:What am I supposed to be looking at in that list? Issues? Articles? Covers?
It is a Magazine Archive designed to help editors find sources for relevant articles, if anyone has old Anime magazines (in English), and would like to help people source the information, please join.
Also seeing the dates of each issue is a great help for all us Anime Historians too.
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

Count me as a fan of Protoculture Addicts! I still have several issues; and often reference them when I need to know something about those years of fandom that I can't seem to find on the internet. I have to credit Protoculture Addicts for getting me into Kimagure Orange Road (those episode summaries really got me hooked).

For those who are interested, you can actually buy old issues of Protoculture Addicts in PDF format. I've picked up a couple of these digital issues and they were well worth the purchase price!