Newtype Magazine - What was your first experience....

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
labsenpai
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Re: Newtype Magazine - What was your first experience....

Post by labsenpai »

Sega machines with Sony machines...it was good while it lasted.
From the 15th Anniv Memorial booklet is this (polled?) collection of popular headline articles by year. Below is 1990s as a sample, but you can request one ('85 ~ '99) to scan. Everybody knows Shampoo and City Hunter, but how many remember Utsunomiko? It was fairly prominent in the early issues.
Attachments
headlines90.jpg
headlines90.jpg (240.1 KiB) Viewed 3165 times
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

All of these scans and pics are great, thanks for sharing, everyone! I don't think I've ever heard of My Anime before; I think I am going to have to try and look up what's on eBay and Amazon and see if there are any available that I might be interested in.

As far as NewType, it was the first Japanese animation magazine I started reading but I probably didn't start actually reading it until 1998 or 1999, thumbing through a store copy or two. I started buying them between '01 and '03, relatively sporadically, so I only have a few. I started buying Animage about the same time but I got most of my modest collection second-hand from someone liquidating their collection. Between the 2, I think I prefer Animage but I wouldn't turn down a bunch of mid-80s to mid-90s NewTypes. I think some of my specials books (a combo Dirty Pair/LoGH mook, Anisong Karaoke '86 and '87 books, etc.) are all Animage related; that could also be coloring my view.

I do, however, love the NewType 100% books. I was buying a bunch of them for a period of time but it has been a while since I started looking for them again. Again, need to look through Amazon and eBay when I've got some spare cash burning a hole in my pocket.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
labsenpai

Post by labsenpai »

In addition to the manga installments in each issue, there were 80+ page bonus comics a few months a year. Comic GENKI featured some new artists combined with ones that contributed regularly to NT like H Mikimoto. The zine's flagship manga was 5 Star Stories, but I could never appreciate much of it beyond the mechs. I preferred Marionette Generation and CLAMP's hilarious Miyuki-chan in Wonderland.
Attachments
comicgenki94.jpg
comicgenki94.jpg (121.59 KiB) Viewed 3132 times
labsenpai

Post by labsenpai »

Back with some more samples of free NT inserts! A lot of the early issues included tape labels, which vanished after things went digital. Common for every year would be anime note cards and holiday greeting cards. Also shown below is one of the karaoke song books, which are full of numbered track codes for various music machines. In summer, the mag released event guide books, showing you where to shop, cons to attend, and "vacation stuff" explored by industry idols like Megumi Hayashibara.
Attachments
idealanimelabels.jpg
idealanimelabels.jpg (143.55 KiB) Viewed 3043 times
patlabor_tapebox.jpg
patlabor_tapebox.jpg (126.85 KiB) Viewed 3043 times
songbook97.jpg
songbook97.jpg (108.32 KiB) Viewed 3043 times
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Oh, nice! Thanks for sharing! I certainly remember those audiocasette covers from the '90s.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Kid Fenris
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Post by Kid Fenris »

labsenpai wrote:Some favorite layouts from what I call the "otaku databooks" that were included in special issues, like the 5-year anniversary ones.
Readers could see what was popular each year, on the covers, and in the calendars. Collector merchandise was photographed, and summer events detailed.
One of the most crucial to me was a catalog of every published cover, which helped me find issues I needed to fill gaps.
I showed a friend of mine the "Animation Life: Past and Present" spread, and he did this with it. Presented without comment.

greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Ha! That is funny. He has a stupid daki-makura (hug pillow). I bet he has some glow sticks in his pocket for the next lame concert, too. All he needs are a few more boring moe anime posters and such on his walls.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Post by SteveH »

He needs a fedora. ;)
blacotaku1
Anime Fan Since: 1993

Post by blacotaku1 »

My first Newtype magazine was the 6/1997 issue with Sakura Shinguji from Sakura wars on the front cover. The front cover was illustrated by Hidenori Matsubara. For some reason this magazine connected with me more than any other anime related print media. As a result I kinda obsess over Newtype Magazine Japan. I can't get enough of the large print and the beautiful glossy pages. So, I decided to buy as much Newtype I could get my hands on. Newtype started on 4/1985 I am only missing 4 issues of the first year. I have all of 86', 87', 88', 89', 90', 91', 92'. I have most of 93'-99'.

Newtype is magical and everyone needs to experience this magazine. So, what I decided to do and share the same experience that I have with the magazine is scan the books at work and do my best to edit and post them on (Shameless plug) http://oldtypenewtype.tumblr.com. I pick the mags at random and scan the pages that will interest the readers.

Check it out. I am pretty sure the folks here in this forum would really like it. I also had a couple of articles translated.
Scans of vintage anime print media: http://oldtypenewtype.tumblr.com/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/Blacotaku1
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

New Type used an extra large size paper which is beyond my scanner's capability and I can't use a camera at present. Will have to wait til I have better equipment, hopefully later this year...