Newtype Magazine - What was your first experience....

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Re: Newtype Magazine - What was your first experience....

Post by _D_ »

Finally found my TV Radar inserts collection. Was in an old plastic bag. Those are from My Anime around 1984 or 85. Also some Lupin 3 material (Cagliostro's Castle and TV series). I've decided I'll wait til I can get either a Canon 9000 MkII or Epson 550 before getting back into it. Both those flatbeds are reasonable at about $250 and would work excellently or me.
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

I am super excited to see what pics you can scan for us, D.

@labsenpai - I love how that 1991 poster talks about "The Second Anime Boom" and nothing on it is what I would consider "boom material"! :lol:
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

I have about over a years worth of the Newtype USA issues in america from issue 1. I do plan on putting those on my own blog eventually sometime in the future.
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Post by Daniel »

Originally written by labsenpai on 2015/12/31, 14:30:58 PST :

Re: Newtype Magazine - What was your first experience.... :

Happy New Year! and enjoy related holiday scans from old NT issues. Even for special inserts, most of the images over the years were just production art without text. Occasionally the characters would be drawn in Xmas New Year costumes. I'd also say that freebies with a summer break theme were more common.

Originally written by Akage on 2016/01/01, 07:23:30 PST :

When characters are drawn in New Years clothes, it's often as a promotional postcard prize for various magazines. Some magazines, like Hana to Yume, have special promotions where you can win these New Year's postcards nengajo . Usually, magazines will offer the original and sometimes 30-50 duplicates, in the January edition of their magazine. A common theme is to tie a particular anime manga character to the Lunar New Year cycle, so you'll see a lot of images from 2016 including monkey motifs.

Every so often, one of these will appear for resale, and depending on the artist, they can sell for insane amounts. They're my favorite sketches to collect. I also try to retain scans of the inserts for each magazine so that I can easily reference them should one pop up for sale.

It's nice seeing some older nengajo artwork though. I have a scan of a Nakayoshi insert from the 1980s and it's neat to see how much the style has changed since then.

Originally written by DKop on 2016/01/10, 18:16:21 PST :

Well, I have decided to post up an issue of Newtype on my blog, and its one of the Newtype USA issues from 2004

http://animeofyesteryear.blogspot.com/2 ... 2-feb.html
_D_

Post by _D_ »

Well, I offered but I got no reply from the New Type Old Type owner, so I guess he only wants to do his own scans. Fair enough. Still looking at that Epson 550 but have settled also on a wide Umax scanner for the New Type mags. Maybe this year...

I don't think anyone used any of the magazine scans I did but that's okay. Looking to do more stuff, including advertising scans later this year. My bud at the comics store suggested I do my own blog so I am looking at Wordpress layouts. Maybe something there. I got my turntable/tape/CD recorder over the holidays so I want to transfer many old 1960s to 1980s 45s and LPs over to CD. Most of this stuff, including the Japanese stuff is no longer available in any format. My Hanna Barbera records for sure...
DKop

Post by DKop »

Wait so the Oldtype/Newtype guy turned you down on scanning something for you? I wonder why.

Yea im curious to know what you have. I would love for someone to translate the stuff I scan on my site so other people can know what was said over 30 some years ago.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

_D_ wrote:Well, I offered but I got no reply from the New Type Old Type owner, so I guess he only wants to do his own scans. Fair enough. Still looking at that Epson 550 but have settled also on a wide Umax scanner for the New Type mags. Maybe this year...

I don't think anyone used any of the magazine scans I did but that's okay. Looking to do more stuff, including advertising scans later this year. My bud at the comics store suggested I do my own blog so I am looking at Wordpress layouts. Maybe something there. I got my turntable/tape/CD recorder over the holidays so I want to transfer many old 1960s to 1980s 45s and LPs over to CD. Most of this stuff, including the Japanese stuff is no longer available in any format. My Hanna Barbera records for sure...
Ryan from Old type/New type? He might just be busy, I know with life he often goes long stretches without checking his blog/email.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
_D_

Post by _D_ »

DKop wrote:Wait so the Oldtype/Newtype guy turned you down on scanning something for you? I wonder why.

Yea im curious to know what you have. I would love for someone to translate the stuff I scan on my site so other people can know what was said over 30 some years ago.
No, I offered to scan stuff from my collection, including the extra stuff they included with the mags. I kept most of that stuff. So, things like playing cards, cassette covers, various toys, etc. that were a bonus gift are all still in many of the mags (not just New Type). This would require a lot of effort as things like the cards have to be removed from their packages and individually scanned and pictures of the toys have to be done with my camera and tripod. But I received no reply so I assumed he only wants to do his own stuff. That's fine. The offer is still open though...

Have you tried to use some of the translation services online or on various platforms? Some work to the point that at least you can get the gist of what is being said, or else titles, names, etc. I use the Google translate as well as some Android translators for simple stuff...
DKop

Post by DKop »

Now that you said that, I do have an android app that scans over texts and translates it. It wont be a 100 percent accurate translation, but if its enough to work with I will start using that. Thanks for point that out to me, I feel like a dunce :lol: :roll:
labsenpai
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by labsenpai »

Time to scan-n-show some more magazine inserts!
System Cards featured anime illustrations on one side, and things like blank schedules, addresses, and I.D info on the other. This Asamiya Special opted for the DARK ANGEL manga art on the second page.
After the long reign of audio cassette art, a few inserts changed to computer diskette layouts. This Cowboy Bebop mix has everything you need - disk art, vhs, and postcards!
Lastly are some Summer Postcards, which always kept with a beach theme.

Feel free to share (credited) images on Tumblr or whatever...
Attachments
moebius_asamiyacard.jpg
moebius_asamiyacard.jpg (210.68 KiB) Viewed 2861 times
bebop_indexdesigns.jpg
bebop_indexdesigns.jpg (185.07 KiB) Viewed 2861 times
NT_summercards.jpg
NT_summercards.jpg (248.02 KiB) Viewed 2861 times