What was the first Japanese CD that you purchased?

Misc. anime/manga-related merchandise
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

What was the first Japanese CD that you purchased?

Post by kndy »

With Japanese music...like some people, I started out with this....

I'll admit that I struggled with purchasing Japanese CD's because it was so expensive. But as for my first CD's, I believe my first CD purchase was this:

"Ranma 1/2 Ongaku Doujou" album (PCCG-00192) from 1992 which translates to Ranma 1/2 Music Gymnasium.

I remember when I bought this soundtrack, I was a bit bummed because it was so expensive for me at the time and there were only the opening and ending theme plus the Heart Naishou/2 song, I was hoping for more vocal tracks. But you do get the music from the first season of the series, so all was not lost. I ended buying all the CD soundtracks for the series, so all is good :) But for those looking for "じゃじゃ馬にさせないで" (or known to many as the "Yapapa Song"), it's on this album.

But a sysop for a New York anime BBS told me to try non-anime music and he sent me a cassette tape with Mr. Children, The Boom and others... And it got me interested in Japanese music.

For non-anime related Japanese CD, this was my first:

While my father has a lot of Japanese LP's, but through my father I was introduced to Japanese music ala... Pink Lady, which I bought this CD many years later...

usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: What was the first Japanese CD that you purchased?

Post by usamimi »

My first Japanese CD was the soundtrack to Chrono Trigger...which got stolen (along with a lot of other games/CDs) from my hotel room at one of the early Baka-cons. (Partially my fault for bringing my CD carrier of the bulk of my CD collection, though...I wanted to have music and games to play during con downtimes. :/ I never did get to re-purchase a lot of those again...)

I don't buy a lot of physical CDs anymore because sometimes they just end up taking space. I still occasionally buy CDs from my favorite artists, though (I think the last one I bought was a single from Tomoyasu Hotei, for example.)
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Path
Anime Fan Since: Circa 1993

Post by Path »

Kndy, those cassette tapes are amazing! And I think I have that exact same Pink Lady CD.

My first Japanese CD (and my first CD ever, on top of that) was the Tenchi Muyo in Love soundtrack. I found it by accident in a Sam Goody and it had to be mine. I didn't even own a CD player, but thankfully my new-at-the-time computer could play them. I played the heck out of Alchemy of Love.
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

After I got my first CD Walkman, my first Japanese CD was Princess Mononoke OST.
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

I had a Japanese friend in college, a girl in my algebra class I was sweet on. I asked her to get these CDs for me when she visited her family in Japan during summer break and paid her for them:

Kiki's Delivery Service, Animage

Porco Rosso, Animage

Those were the first two imported CDs I ever bought.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Both great soundtracks, too <3
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*