Appleseed

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Appleseed

Post by kndy »

I'm currently watching the 2011 "Appleseed XIII" animated series from Production I.G. But was it ever established in previous films or OVA that Briareos is Deunan's boyfriend? I always thought they were just partners.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Re: Appleseed

Post by greg »

I'm not a huge fan, but I too was a bit surprised when the newer movie revealed that bit. I don't think that was every established in the old anime I watched back in the early '90s. I kind of liked the idea of their relationship being strictly professional, but maybe they added the element of them being lovers to add more drama or something?

At first, I thought that the computer generated animation would put me off, but it grew on me. I'd still prefer hand-drawn art that copies Shirow's work, though. I enjoyed the movie, but I never got to see the followup one.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

They have been lovers for a long time. The manga has showed them sleeping together numerous times since it started. The anime OVAs and films just took a while to get around to it.
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Post by kndy »

Watching "Appleseed XIII", it takes place when she was a rookie, but how they were boyfriend and girlfriend yet have trust issues because Briareos wants to protect her (as a promise made to her father), but her hot attitude prevents her from seeing Briareos caring attitude towards her and infuriates her.

But for an action series, a lot of relationship issues between the two for this series.