Kodansha "not interested in rescuing older titles"

Discuss manga, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles, and related sub-topics
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Re: Kodansha "not interested in rescuing older titles"

Post by _D_ »

Wow, corporate culture sure changed from when I first got into Japan in the late 1970s. The joke was there were three things you didn't want your kid to grow up to be: a dog catcher, a mortuary attendant and a lawyer! How the lawyers can go after streaming sites out of places like Russia or the Czech Republic or India must be really disheartening as those countries will just ignore them. China used to be big time pirates with all the manga like St. Seiya back in the 1980s being bootleg (looking at some as I type this). But I sometimes wonder just how much stuff is legit these days? I mean some companies are obviously doing business legit with Japanese companies but a lot of others? And in Taiwan I guess it's still anything goes. Hard to put pressure on these countries as their stature and economic clout has grown. But yeah, I can see how the Japanese companies expectations have grown as their own economies may have shrunk. But the US has always been a hard nut to crack, especially with children's properties. Also, the aging population in North America isn't helping. Better to go with places where the number of children is on an upswing while the economies continue to grow.