Sentai/Power Rangers

Non-anime/manga-related TV, movies, books, and comics, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles
Path
Anime Fan Since: Circa 1993

Re: Sentai/Power Rangers

Post by Path »

Big sentai fan here!
kndy wrote:
ryoran wrote: I have all of Kaizoku Ranger, I saw about 4 episodes so far and liked it, even though I don't know the history. I just look it up, but I love seeing them use all the ranger moves from previous shows. I have Akibaranger also, but haven't watched it yet.
Hey Ryoran,

I just watched the first episode of Unofficial Sentai Akibranger and I absolutely enjoyed the tie-in of Super Sentai, classic sentai, anime and Akihabara wackiness. I'm definitely going to watch all episodes now! Lol...
Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger was a great show, full of in-jokes for fans and just as fun for newbies. Akibranger is my favorite of the season (better then the normal sentai of the year), they even did a episode about the "Powerful Rangers" recently which probably offended a lot of people.

Sentai and I go way back and its interesting how I got back into it.

I was a big fan of Power Rangers when it came out (and in love with Tommy) and watched it avidly until sometime before the second movie came out. In the late 90s I saw a few raw episodes of Zyuranger, but that's about all I did with that. Had a friend that continued to watch it into the 2000s and would occasionally mention things going on.

Flash forward to Youtube coming into existence. I knew that sentai started every February and would go once a year to check out the opening and laugh at stuff. I did this for many things, so its not that exciting. February of 2008 was the year of Go-onger. That opening was so damn catchy I ripped a tv-size for my Ipod.

Now it is October of 2008. I had immense free time (school, no job) and my anime backlog has dwindled down to Clannad (which was airing at the time) and nothing else. Never in my life before (or after) did I run out of anime to watch. I went on the hunt for anything to watch. TV-Nihon had Transformers, PGSM, and things like that. They also had sentai. I remembered the name Go-onger and since it was a direct download I figured what the heck?

What a mistake. I ended up buying the entire show on R2 DVD (movies and all), the crazy large robot (check this thing out: http://ooebihara.sakura.ne.jp/toys/sent ... in10c.html), photobooks, sofubis, you name it. I even cosplayed as Go-on Green. Besides the other sentai I ended up watching (both forwards and backwards) it got me started on Kamen Rider. Now I'm trapped for the long run, since neither series will ever end. I even saw the stage show at Tokyo Dome City and the displays at Toei Village.

In this modern age of everything under the sun being streamed the above situation would never happen again.

Anyone that wants to try a sentai, I very much recommend Go-Busters. We keep calling it "Evangelion for kids". It has a smart, competent villain (that learns from his mistakes and keeps the viewer on their toes), interesting world dynamics, a great cast that grow and change, an episode 30 that left my jaw on the floor, and a sobering ending.
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Post by kndy »

Path wrote:Anyone that wants to try a sentai, I very much recommend Go-Busters. We keep calling it "Evangelion for kids". It has a smart, competent villain (that learns from his mistakes and keeps the viewer on their toes), interesting world dynamics, a great cast that grow and change, an episode 30 that left my jaw on the floor, and a sobering ending.
Awesome Path!!! I read that "Go-Busters" and "Chojin Sentai Jetman" are worth watching. Definitely want to check those two out!
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

This is why I liked Kamen Rider Black back in the day...the villains weren't stupid or incompetent like they were in just about every other Sentai or Henshin show. And that final episode! That would never happen in any show as I recall...
Path
Anime Fan Since: Circa 1993

Post by Path »

kndy wrote:
Path wrote:Anyone that wants to try a sentai, I very much recommend Go-Busters. We keep calling it "Evangelion for kids". It has a smart, competent villain (that learns from his mistakes and keeps the viewer on their toes), interesting world dynamics, a great cast that grow and change, an episode 30 that left my jaw on the floor, and a sobering ending.
Awesome Path!!! I read that "Go-Busters" and "Chojin Sentai Jetman" are worth watching. Definitely want to check those two out!
Jetman is my favorite of the older series. It has a maturity to it and feels less like a toy commercial then the newer ones. The Jetman tribute episode in Gokaiger imho was the best episode of the series. My personal favorite sentai are in no order: Jetman, Go-onger, Gokaiger, Boukenger, and Go-busters.
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Post by kndy »

I don't know where to find "Jetman"...I want to watch it!
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

First episode subbed in English:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8clV7q04_Sw

Looks like the whole run or most of it is up on YouTube...
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

I was too old for "Power Rangers". I can remember seeing episodes of "Changeman" on rental tapes, and you know, it's interesting enough from a "look at this crazy Japanese TV" standpoing, but you see one, you've seen 'em all. I mean, they're for small children.

I absolutely do not get the appeal of any more than five or ten minutes of any of these shows. My favorite tokusatsu is probably the Spiderman show because it's so goofy, or any one of the really weird, aggressive 70s shows like Denjin Zaboga. And Ultraman, but mostly just Ultraman and Ultra Seven. I will totally be buying Ultra Q when Shout Factory releases it this year!!

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2 ... his-august
ParaParaJMo
Anime Fan Since: 1986/1994

Post by ParaParaJMo »

I first learned of sentai back in the late 90s thanks to getting a 56k connection....but didn't really get around to watching it until I moved to Japan and started renting the DVDs. But I did watch an episode of Bioman in the Philippines during a visit in the mid-90s and it left an impression on me (and I also saw an episode of Gavan, which was called Skyranger there). So far, I have watched Bioman, Jetman, Zyuranger, Dairanger, Kakuranger, Ohranger, Carranger, Megaranger, Gingaman, Timeranger, Gokaiger, and Akibaranger. I am currently watching Goranger and plan on watching some of the remaining Showa series much later on. My favorite so far has to be Jetman.

Yuuki Gai is such a bad ass and I love his sense of fashion lol. I think he is the last sentai hero to smoke and drink on screen. But I also loved the episode where he does a gambling scene with Grey. Inoue, the writer, used to be a genius, but he is very terrible at writing comedy.