Fast Food Japan/Other restaurants in JP Discussion Thread

Discuss anything and everything relating to that fascinating island empire of the east
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Re: Fast Food Japan/Other restaurants in JP Discussion Threa

Post by kndy »

Woman in Japan challenges herself to eat 5 pieces of chicken, fries and medium drink at KFC Japan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... i_QHW49ayA
kndy

Post by kndy »

For the garlic lovers out there...Burger King will be unveiling their garlic burgers on July 26th:

Although many of who have attended a garlic festival in California may be used to tasting foods with garlic, Burger King Japan will be introducing their Garlic Meat Monster and Garlic Double Cheeseburger next week. I actually enjoy garlic but in very little moderation, so for any of you in Japan who are able to try this on the 26th, please let me know how it tastes.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Man, you're really staying on top of these things! Those garlic burgers sound nice. I love garlic to the expense of others' olfactory comfort!

EDIT:
Lotteria will offer a Ring-themed milkshake! Yikes!

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2013/07/19/l ... ke-flavor/
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

There are 3 Ajisen Ramen restaurants in Toronto, and it's our go-to place when we want some ramen, especially when it's cold out. What's the chain like in Japan? Is the Chinese-language Christian muzak a chain-wide phenomena, or is that just a Toronto thing?
greg

Post by greg »

Chinese Christian WHAAaa? Actually, I'm not sure if I've heard of Ajisen. I don't recall seeing them in the Kansai area where I once lived, and I don't think I've seen them in Shizuoka. I'll ask my wife if she's familiar with them tomorrow. Heck, it's nearly 1am and I need to go to bed now!
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

http://www.ajisen.ca/

Apparently their Japanese restaurants are in Kumamoto - about 70 stores Greater Tokyo Area - 5 stores, Kyoto, Osaka, Aichi, Shizuoka, Fukuoka, Saitama, and Kobe, and their American outlets are in California and NY. I'm no ramen expert by any means, but it's good stuff, their Tom Yum ramen is great when you've got the sniffles and need something to open the sinuses up.

Their Toronto stores all have Chinese-language Christian music playing on the PA. It's not obtrusive, but it's there. (content confirmed by Chinese-speaking friends). I was wondering if it was a worldwide thing, or just in Ontario.
kndy

Post by kndy »

3rd scoop for free at Basken Robbins Japan
greg

Post by greg »

Wow. It's as if Japan is saying, "We can be just as fat as you are, America!" I always go for a kid's scoop at 31. Several years ago I could have maybe gone for a double kids' scoop, but dang... three adult scoops?

I checked out an even more ridiculous ice cream vendor in the basement of the Broadway Building that really piles the ice cream high on the cone. I can't remember if that was with Dave in the summer or with my friend in December. Anyhow, there's no way someone can eat that fast without the ice cream melting or getting a total coma-inducing brain freeze.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
greg

Post by greg »

So I tried the new Sadako milkshake at Lotteria.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yQpEHw8lPI
The stringy chocolate "hair" adds to the creepiness. It also forms a clump around your straw and does not mix into the rest of the drink. So, you must take the straw out and lick the glob off.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

greg wrote:Wow. It's as if Japan is saying, "We can be just as fat as you are, America!" I always go for a kid's scoop at 31. Several years ago I could have maybe gone for a double kids' scoop, but dang... three adult scoops?

I checked out an even more ridiculous ice cream vendor in the basement of the Broadway Building that really piles the ice cream high on the cone. I can't remember if that was with Dave in the summer or with my friend in December. Anyhow, there's no way someone can eat that fast without the ice cream melting or getting a total coma-inducing brain freeze.
How big are these scoops? I usually put away a Hagen Daz 1 pint at a sitting. Just bought a Target Natural Vanilla Bean 1.5 litre pail to try out. Put away about 1/2 at a sitting. Probably because I walk a lot, I just burn up the calories. I'm at 140 lbs. which puts me on the low normal side of my Body Mass Index. I want to get a Musso Ice Cream maker but (alas) lack the funds:

http://www.amazon.com/Lello-Musso-5030- ... pd_sbs_k_2