Fast Food Japan/Other restaurants in JP Discussion Thread

Discuss anything and everything relating to that fascinating island empire of the east
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Re: Fast Food Japan/Other restaurants in JP Discussion Threa

Post by kndy »

KFC Japan's One Piece Ice Cream maker

PinkAppleJam
Anime Fan Since: 1992

Post by PinkAppleJam »

Uuunngh, so hungry now! :lol: I loved MoS Burgers, Lotteria Ebi Sando also <3 I always used to go for the ice tea drinks and the sweet, sweet syrupy goodness!!

Mister Donuts was my fave café, Pon De Lion was THE cutest fast food mascot.
http://youtu.be/Ve-9K1R79tI
:9

kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Post by kndy »

http://www.japantoday.com/category/food ... s-in-japan

The following survey was conducted by Japanese retail research company, Softbrain Field, on Sept 13. They asked 5,708 men and women in their teens to their 80s to comment about their favorite fast food chains. Survey takers were first asked to list every fast food restaurant they often go to. Here are the results:

1 – McDonald’s (68%)
2 – Mister Donut (45%)
3 – MOS Burger (33%)
4 – Kentucky Fried Chicken (28%)
5 – Subway (11%)
6 – Lotteria (8%)
7 – Krispy Kreme (5%)
8 – Freshness Burger (4%)
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

I've never heard of Freshness Burger. I'm surprised that Sukiya or Yoshinoya aren't on the list.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Heibi
Anime Fan Since: 1976

Post by Heibi »

kndy wrote:http://www.japantoday.com/category/food ... s-in-japan

The following survey was conducted by Japanese retail research company, Softbrain Field, on Sept 13. They asked 5,708 men and women in their teens to their 80s to comment about their favorite fast food chains. Survey takers were first asked to list every fast food restaurant they often go to. Here are the results:

1 – McDonald’s (68%)
2 – Mister Donut (45%)
3 – MOS Burger (33%)
4 – Kentucky Fried Chicken (28%)
5 – Subway (11%)
6 – Lotteria (8%)
7 – Krispy Kreme (5%)
8 – Freshness Burger (4%)
Of course, when I go to Japan, I avoid fast food restaurants like the ones in the US. They are for emergencies only. I go for C&C Curry, or the ticket machine udon/katsudon bowl shops.
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

I'm not very tolerant of new foods, so it's good to know the fast food chains are there. I have begged off Lebanese, Vietnamese, Chinese and Japanese foods from friends rather than make a scene when I have to spit it out. That's just me though. Others of my friends and my parents are/were adventurous with foods...
Heibi

Post by Heibi »

_D_ wrote:I'm not very tolerant of new foods, so it's good to know the fast food chains are there. I have begged off Lebanese, Vietnamese, Chinese and Japanese foods from friends rather than make a scene when I have to spit it out. That's just me though. Others of my friends and my parents are/were adventurous with foods...
Do you eat breaded chicken, pork, shrimp or fish? - Katsudon would be fine then. And they have a variety of types. I'm a picky eater, so I know this very well.

Do you like chicken curry or beef curry? - C&C curry would be fine as well. Mild, Medium, or Hot choices.

Do you like noodles, spaghetti ? - The ramen shops have a wide variety of palate safe versions.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

So you definitely won't be interested in going out of your way to the mountains to try horse sashimi or locust. But Japan isn't all about fish eggs and seaweed.

Heibi, what is C&C? Are you talking about Coco Ichibanya Curry House? I went there last weekend when my friend came to stay with me. He ordered spice level 8! I can handle it, I guess, but 7 is where it turns uncomfortable, so I usually stick to level 6. He says there's a Coco's Curry in Hawaii, but it is totally Americanized and not the same experience at all.

Yeah, ramen is the way to go for the less-adventurous, and there are tons of awesome ramen places. Saizeria and Jolly Pasta are great spaghetti places. I saw a post from one kid on the AnimeNation forum who said that he went to Japan with his family, and all they ate was McDonalds the whole time. He wanted to try other things, but his parents were picky. McDonalds is sick in any country (there's a local burger chain in Phoenix that has an awesome teriyaki burger, so McD's can cram it for all I care), so at least they could have tried Lotteria or Mos Burger for the experience. Mos's katsu sandwich is great.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

Heibi wrote:
_D_ wrote:I'm not very tolerant of new foods, so it's good to know the fast food chains are there. I have begged off Lebanese, Vietnamese, Chinese and Japanese foods from friends rather than make a scene when I have to spit it out. That's just me though. Others of my friends and my parents are/were adventurous with foods...
Do you eat breaded chicken, pork, shrimp or fish? - Katsudon would be fine then. And they have a variety of types. I'm a picky eater, so I know this very well.

Do you like chicken curry or beef curry? - C&C curry would be fine as well. Mild, Medium, or Hot choices.

Do you like noodles, spaghetti ? - The ramen shops have a wide variety of palate safe versions.
Breaded chicken, pork ribs, no shrimp or fish. No curry. Spaghetti is okay but only Bolonese sauce. Going to be tough going if I try to eat regular Japanese foods. There is a Korean/Vietnamese/Chnese food restaurant around the corner from my house. Can't eat a thing on their menu...
Heibi

Post by Heibi »

greg wrote:So you definitely won't be interested in going out of your way to the mountains to try horse sashimi or locust. But Japan isn't all about fish eggs and seaweed.

Heibi, what is C&C? Are you talking about Coco Ichibanya Curry House? I went there last weekend when my friend came to stay with me. He ordered spice level 8! I can handle it, I guess, but 7 is where it turns uncomfortable, so I usually stick to level 6. He says there's a Coco's Curry in Hawaii, but it is totally Americanized and not the same experience at all.

Yeah, ramen is the way to go for the less-adventurous, and there are tons of awesome ramen places. Saizeria and Jolly Pasta are great spaghetti places. I saw a post from one kid on the AnimeNation forum who said that he went to Japan with his family, and all they ate was McDonalds the whole time. He wanted to try other things, but his parents were picky. McDonalds is sick in any country (there's a local burger chain in Phoenix that has an awesome teriyaki burger, so McD's can cram it for all I care), so at least they could have tried Lotteria or Mos Burger for the experience. Mos's katsu sandwich is great.
Here' a link with a picture of one of the curry shops in Shinjuku. The one we ate at is closer to the Keio Plaza Hotel.
http://thehungrygreedyhippo.blogspot.co ... ation.html