For you expats...free US TV!

Discuss anything and everything relating to that fascinating island empire of the east
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

For you expats...free US TV!

Post by _D_ »

Don't know if you know this but you can watch US TV in Japan by going here:

http://www.ustvnow.com/

and registering that you are a US citizen and living in another country. The networks are free, the others are pay. Might be good if you want to watch some stuff not airing in Japan...
Last edited by _D_ on Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Re: For you expats

Post by greg »

Cool! Thanks for the link!
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
_D_

Re: For you expats

Post by _D_ »

As I understand it, you may need a VPN like Hot Spot Shield or Hide My Ass to register. After that, the streams are available without the proxy. Seems illogical as the service is intended for US citizens who are presumably already outside the USA. I'll have to try it that way as an experiment and see what happens. Didn't work when I tried to register from the Canadian ISP...might work from Japan though.

Yes, used the free proxy at Hidemyass.com and registered. They send an email to me in a couple minutes. Turned off the proxy and replied to link to activate account. Checked out a show on CBS and, there it was, streamed to my Ipad! Whoa...

Tried it again within my Jail broken Ipad 2 with XBMC and after adding my account data, that also works. Actually, it's better since I don't have to use a browser...
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Re: For you expats...free US TV!

Post by greg »

I already registered and I could watch something. I just barely missed seeing Big Bang Theory. I can only watch the main networks, so only four channels or so. Anything else I'll need to pay for. No VPN is necessary for me, since I am connecting from overseas.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
_D_

Post by _D_ »

Yeah, I guess that's why they have the extended (pay) package with the DVR...so you don't miss anything because of the difference in time zones. The Chinese IPTV boxes now have them as well and developers on XBMC are working on a PVR. Meanwhile, my satellite PVR says I have 816 programs recorded. Better get along to watching some of them...
_D_

Post by _D_ »

Sorry to reopen this thread but I was looking at this box:

http://zoeblogshop.wordpress.com/2013/1 ... -over-vod/

Even though its subscription based it might be a good whirl if you need your fix of Chinese dramas or Japanese TV. Vietnamese, Korean, etc. also...

Just a thought...

...or not. I just received this:

"They were recently busted during the World Cup and most HK channels were offline. They just added back the TVB broadcast channels, but all the paid ones, NOW or icable channels are still down."
ParaParaJMo
Anime Fan Since: 1986/1994

Post by ParaParaJMo »

My friend showed me projectfree.tv

It is how I watch Game of Thrones ATM