The Robotech nostalgia spin-off thread

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Post by kndy »

ROBOTECH: 2-MOVIE COLLECTION on DVD 7/23/13!!

New Adventure Love Live Alive Arrives For The First Time Along With Fan Favorite The Shadow Chronicles In New DVD Set Available July 23 From Lionsgate Home Entertainment

SANTA MONICA, CA June 17, 2013 – The Robotech saga continues as the celebrated characters that gained world-wide popularity in the original series return in an exciting new adventure debuting as part of the Robotech: 2-Movie Collection. Arriving on DVD July 23 from Lionsgate Home Entertainment, under license from A+E Networks Consumer Products™, the Robotech: 2-Movie Collection DVD set includes the never-before-seen feature Love Live Alive as well as the timeless Robotech hit The Shadow Chronicles.

The Robotech chronicle continues with the unveiling of the all-new anime adventure Love Live Alive. Taking place during and after the events of Robotech: The New Generation (available in Robotech: The Complete Series from Lionsgate Home Entertainment), this thrilling installment in the Robotech saga follows the adventures of Lieutenant Lance "Lancer" Belmont as he recounts his journey from before his first encounter with Scott Bernard to the aftermath following Admiral Rick Hunter's expedition to liberate the Earth from the mysterious Invid race. Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles continues the epic battle as Scott Bernard must once again face his tragic past as he joins the returning Robotech Expedition against new mechanized adversaries known as the Haydonites.

Robotech maintains its place as one of the most popular anime properties ever, the center of a massive media empire that includes comic books, toys and a major motion picture currently in development. Voted one of the “Top 50 Sci-Fi Properties of All Time” by IGN.com, Robotech remains a fan favorite.

Complete with bonus material that includes multiple featurettes, deleted scenes, outtakes, photo galleries and animatics, this affordably priced 2-film DVD collection will be available for the suggested retail price of only $19.98.

DVD SPECIAL FEATURES*
* Love Live Alive
* Pre-production Gallery
* The Shadow Chronicles
* "Birth of a Sequel" featurette
* Score Music Video
* "Anime Selects" podcast coverage
* "!Pon Anime
* "Robotech 3000" demo reel
* "Robotech 3000" motion capture sequences
* Deleted scenes with optional commentary
* Outtakes
* Animatics with optional commentary
* Trailers
* Image Galleries: Personnel Dossier, Ship Registry, Mecha Database, Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles, Secret Files
*Subject to change
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Re: The old-school anime DVD/BD news thread.

Post by SteveH »

aw, what?! HG gets the Moespeda OAV?!

Not that it matters as IIRC it's mostly a 'clip' show with a few minutes of new animation, somewhat akin to Macross Flashback 2012 (and brother, how funny and odd THAT sounds now, eh? :) )

*sigh* We'll never be able to put a stake into the heart of HG, will we?
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

I love the wording of that press release. "the timeless Robotech hit The Shadow Chronicles"... Uh huh, sure. Whatever you say.

inconsequential and forgettable; a Robotech-flavored nutrition bar where one might expect a meal. - Anime News Network

The Shadow Chronicles isn’t much more than the bare husk of what we would otherwise deem a cartoon. With absolutely nothing remarkable about it, it manages to fail at nearly every thing it attempts to do. - Colony Drop

Of course, there are a few positive reviews of the thing, mostly from hard-core Robotech fans whose enthusiasm for the property overwhelms their taste and ability to form complete sentences.

Luckily it's still available on Amazon for prices ranging from $23 for the Blu-Ray all the way down to $1.34 for the DVD and $0.01 for used. You'll spend more on postage than you will on the movie itself.

But sure, timeless classic, right on fellas.

Honestly, putting it onto a disc with "Love Live Alive" makes me LESS likely to buy "Love Live Alive".
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Yeah, tell me about it! I bought Shadow Chronicles for only a dollar or two at Big Lots a couple of years ago. I watched it out of curiosity. I couldn't tell you a bit about what happened in that movie at all. I'm grateful for Robotech being a part of my childhood and introducing me further to anime, but I really think I've moved beyond that. I even gave my Robotech DVDs to a friend of mine for his birthday a few years ago.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

I find the Robotech discs all the time at the Salvation Army thrift stores for 50 cents or a dollar. Never watched the show. Had already seen Macross, Southern Cross and Mospeada at the time so I wasn't interested...
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

UGH, Shadow Chronicles. What a horrid movie! I have a friend who swears by Robotech. I keep telling him to watch the original Macross (which I did a few years ago, I watched Macross to Frontier over the course of a year, and now it's one one my favorite franchises/series). He keeps telling me he wants to "SO BADLY" but it's been like 7 years since he's been saying that, and he'd rather watch re-runs of some dumb sci-fi channel show he's probably seen 100+ times. :lol:

He bought Shadow Chronicles and had us over to watch it saying how awesome it was. My friends I lied to him about how we liked it (while still expressing, dude, have you seen the original Macross yet?) and when we left his house we were all thinking the same thing. :lol: Bad bad movie.

I wouldn't have gotten into Macross if it wasn't for Robotech, and I too loved it back in the day. But same with me, I moved on and I'm so much more the Macross fan because of it.
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
greg

Post by greg »

Yes, Macross is a one way street. Once you've seen the original, you just can't go back to Robotech. Appreciate Robotech for what it's worth, let it find a nostalgic place in your heart and a place at the used books and media store. I enjoyed the Robotech novels more than the show, but even those I parted with a few years back. The only thing I own with the Robotech name on is the Zentraedi Battle Pod vinyl figure I bought a few years ago.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

Actually, some of the Robotech tracks from Ulpio Minucci still gets me excited even today. I even prefer some of his compositions to a number of Macross tracks. In fact, I'm not sure I actually prefer the Macross music over Robotech, actually. With the exception of the vocals of course. Can't get any worse than Reba West's warbling of "to be in loo-oove..."

However, I really dig Mospeada's music over both Macross and Robotech. That show totally had its own musical style, and "hair band" rock works for me. Of course, Joe Hisaishi was the composer for Mospeada, displaying more range here outside of Ghibli's more classical musical style.
greg

Post by greg »

llj wrote:Of course, Joe Hisaishi was the composer for Mospeada, displaying more range here outside of Ghibli's more classical musical style.
Wow, somehow I knew that. This fact was buried deep in the back of my brain and you just helped resurface it. Also, the character designer for Mospeada was the guy who designed the earlier Final Fantasy games.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Path
Anime Fan Since: Circa 1993

Post by Path »

greg wrote:Yes, Macross is a one way street. Once you've seen the original, you just can't go back to Robotech. Appreciate Robotech for what it's worth, let it find a nostalgic place in your heart and a place at the used books and media store. I enjoyed the Robotech novels more than the show, but even those I parted with a few years back. The only thing I own with the Robotech name on is the Zentraedi Battle Pod vinyl figure I bought a few years ago.
I agree with this 100%. Trying to watch Robotech these days is nostalgically pleasant, but not really fun anymore.

Long after Robotech was off TV I discovered those novels in my high school library. Must have been fifty or more of those things and I consumed them like a moth in flames. I wonder if those hold up either?