The Latest Movies (Non-Anime) You Are Watching Right Now

Non-anime/manga-related TV, movies, books, and comics, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

The Latest Movies (Non-Anime) You Are Watching Right Now

Post by kndy »

So, what movies are you watching right now? Non-Anime....
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Re: The Latest Movies (Non-Anime) You Are Watching Right Now

Post by llj »

I saw The Goonies for the first time during the weekend. I know, I know, being an 80s kid myself, it's pretty shameful that I had never seen it before. I remember my friends used to talk about it all the time. I guess I always saw it as looking like a kids' movie...even though I WAS a kid! By this time, I was already watching stuff like Commando...

Anyway, it was reasonably fun, if kind of loud (let's face it, it's a movie about 5-6 kids freaking out or yelling every 5 minutes). I don't have any nostalgia for this, so I guess I had to watch it when I was 8 to really get it.
kndy

Post by kndy »

llj wrote:I saw The Goonies for the first time during the weekend. I know, I know, being an 80s kid myself, it's pretty shameful that I had never seen it before. I remember my friends used to talk about it all the time. I guess I always saw it as looking like a kids' movie...even though I WAS a kid! By this time, I was already watching stuff like Commando...

Anyway, it was reasonably fun, if kind of loud (let's face it, it's a movie about 5-6 kids freaking out or yelling every 5 minutes). I don't have any nostalgia for this, so I guess I had to watch it when I was 8 to really get it.
WOW!!! Serious!!! I love that film!!! :)
llj

Post by llj »

Honestly, I can see myself loving it if I had seen it when I was 7 or 8. Nostalgia is a powerful thing.

I wasn't a huge Star Wars fan either. I mean, obviously I was *aware* of it being popular, and I liked the franchise well enough, but it wasn't a "thing" for me. I do have a soft spot for Return of the Jedi since it was my first memory of actually being in a movie theatre and watching a movie from start to finish (I'm sure my parents brought me to a movie theatre prior to this, but I don't remember it), but even now I acknowledge it's not exactly the best movie in the series.

If I had to list the movies from the 80s that I have the strongest nostalgic feelings for, it would probably be something like: Commando, Back to the Future Part 1 (I really like the other 2 as well, but this is the one I tend to be most fond of), Ghostbusters, Transformers the Movie.
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

Movies I've seen recently are, um, we saw the Star Trek. Sat next to two old Scottish ladies and they certainly enjoyed Simon Pegg. Haven't seen any of the other big must-see summer blockbusters. I may be waiting for video on a lot of 'em.

I think I was a little too old for The Goonies when it came out. I saw it, and I guess I liked it OK, but I was hoping for something a little more adventurey, I suppose. Star Trek II is an 80s movie I have a lot of nostalgia for- I'm not a big Star Trek fan, but we got the whole gang of nerdy 13 year olds to see it together, and we all really enjoyed it and saw it repeatedly over the course of that summer. Other 80s films that bring back fond memories are Ghostbusters, Empire Strikes Back (got out of school to see that one), Flash Gordon (I liked it when I was 10, hated it when I was 17, loved it again as an adult and found out what "camp" was), Superman II, Raiders Of The Lost Ark, Secret Of NIMH (I'd read the book beforehand), Strange Brew (big SCTV fan at that age), Return Of The Jedi (ditched school for that one too), Buckaroo Banzai (the movie's hit or miss but jeez, it was pitched directly at me and my friends), Red Dawn (again, aimed straight at my demographic), and the John Hughes movies like Sixteen Candles and Ferris Bueller were made for me, I think.

This Is Spinal Tap... is timeless.
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

Saw World War Z the other night. Okay for a PG-13 zombie flick. Not gory and the first 2/3 of the movie is a taut thriller. Was sick this past week so I haven't had time to check out new films. Will report later...
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

_D_ wrote:Saw World War Z the other night. Okay for a PG-13 zombie flick. Not gory and the first 2/3 of the movie is a taut thriller. Was sick this past week so I haven't had time to check out new films. Will report later...
In case the embedded image won't work: http://s3.amazonaws.com/theoatmeal-img/ ... wz/wwz.png

A couple of weekends ago, I watched Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and III: The Search for Spock. I realized that my copy of TWOK isn't the director's cut. D'oh! At least I didn't pay for it... it was bought with trade-in credit at the used books and media store when I got rid of a ton of stuff just before moving to Happy J-Land.

I'm currently watching the MST3K episode "Teenage Caveman." Gotta love that title. I've been watching it here and there, little by little, over the past few nights. I plan to finish it tonight.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
kndy

Post by kndy »

Watched "Dead Man Down". As much as I enjoyed Niels Arden Opley's version of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo", "Dead Man Down" wasn't as great. Also, finally watched "Rise of the Planet of the Apes", which I enjoyed but my wife despised any scenes with the ape (towards the end).

Also, watched "Green Lantern", I don't watch superhero films all that much (unless I have to review them) but I'll need to watch "Thor" and "Captain America" (the newer one not the old one, which I did watch on BD a few months ago)
llj

Post by llj »

WWZ is directed by Marc Forster, who in my opinion directed the absolute worst James Bond film of all time. The man can't cut or direct an action scene to save his life. Somebody go and watch the first action sequence in Quantum of Solace and tell me it was even remotely visually coherent. Go ahead, I dare you.
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

Just came back from Despicable Me 2. Couldn't get into it. But my friends and their son loved it. Should do great box office business and great DVD sales. Pacific Rim is what I'm really waiting for though...