Star Quest -- The First English Dub of Wings of Honneamise

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Star Quest -- The First English Dub of Wings of Honneamise

Post by Daniel »

I have a friend who's interested in Star Quest, the first English dub of Honneamise. He says that there was only a limited theatrical release with no release on tape and no tv broadcasts. Does anyone have any info on this dub? Were copies of it ever floating around back in the day, in one form or another?
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Re: Star Quest -- The First English Dub of Wings of Honneami

Post by davemerrill »

My pal Scott went to the premiere of the "Star Quest" dub at what's now the TCL Chinese Theater in LA. It's a terrible dub, the names are changed to things like "Randy", and most of the more philosophical stuff is ignored or glossed over in the dialog. Somewhere I have an English handout with a synopsis and a cast list. I tried to find it for that Let's Anime thing I did on Carl Horn's zine, but was not successful.

Anyway it was never released on any sort of media. I'm surprised it never made it onto a DVD as an alternate audio track. Bootleg tapes of the "Star Quest" dub did circulate in the fan world. I don't have one myself, but I know people who do.
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

Didn't know this. Might check my bud's fan collection to see. Only tapes of it here are the original fan sub done by my unnamed subber back in the day...
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Post by Daniel »

Thanks for the info, Dave.

Something that's not present in that massive collection of yours, _D_? That's unusual... ;)
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Wow, I didn't know about this, either. That's interesting. I'd love to see this awful dub just to see how awful it is. XD
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Kid Fenris
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Post by Kid Fenris »

An old issue of Anime-zine had a spread about Honneamise and the Star Quest alterations. I wrote about it, and I scanned in the pages, too!

http://kidfenris.com/starquestlarge1.png
http://kidfenris.com/starquestlarge2.png
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Kid Fenris wrote:An old issue of Anime-zine had a spread about Honneamise and the Star Quest alterations. I wrote about it, and I scanned in the pages, too!

http://kidfenris.com/starquestlarge1.png
http://kidfenris.com/starquestlarge2.png
Hey, that is a cool blog you have! I just subscribed.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Kame-Sen'nin

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

I wasn't aware of the "Star Quest" dub of Wings of Honnemaise. Does anyone know just how limited the theatrical run was?
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Post by SteveH »

Kame-Sen'nin wrote:I wasn't aware of the "Star Quest" dub of Wings of Honnemaise. Does anyone know just how limited the theatrical run was?
Pretty sure it was one theater, one day, one showing. Enough to be able to legally claim "shown in American theaters!!" in advertising at Cannes, same as the Robotech Movie.
Kame-Sen'nin

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

SteveH wrote:
Kame-Sen'nin wrote:I wasn't aware of the "Star Quest" dub of Wings of Honnemaise. Does anyone know just how limited the theatrical run was?
Pretty sure it was one theater, one day, one showing. Enough to be able to legally claim "shown in American theaters!!" in advertising at Cannes, same as the Robotech Movie.
Thanks for the info Steve! Hopefully someone will be able to track down a copy of this version.