What non-Japanese animation are you watching?

Non-anime/manga-related TV, movies, books, and comics, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Re: What non-Japanese animation are you watching?

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

greg wrote:Sorry for the late reply. I haven't been on here much lately, enjoying summer, etc. The Star Trek animated series is like a continuation of the Enterprise's 5 year mission that was cancelled after its third season. Everyone but Chechov reprises their roles in the animated series, which is great. It certainly does feel a bit more cartoony in ways, but I think it is very Trek-ish, and there are some pretty solid SF plots. I was surprised to see that one episode was written by Larry Niven, the author of Ringworld. The episode even features the Kzin from Niven's universe, as well as the slaver technology.

My friend gave he his LD box set once the show was finally released on DVD.
Sounds like an interesting show! I think I remember seeing those Laserdisc box sets for the animated series years ago. According to Memory Alpha, "Star Trek: The Animated Series was the first series to be released in a box set, on any format". Pretty cool piece of trivia!
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

I gave the first ep of Moonbeam City a shot because I thought it sounded interesting. I REALLY, REALLY wanted to like it because the animation for this show is AMAZING. It's so painfully 80s that I kind of adore it?! They basically made everything look like a Patrick Nagel painting and it looks really, really cool. The writing, however, is pretty meh and it just didn't really seem all that funny. I'm hoping maybe it'll get better? I'll give it another ep or 2, maybe it needs to find it's footing...but man, visually, it looks really cool to me. So I hope it DOES get better. I want to like this show!
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

usamimi wrote:I gave the first ep of Moonbeam City a shot because I thought it sounded interesting. I REALLY, REALLY wanted to like it because the animation for this show is AMAZING. It's so painfully 80s that I kind of adore it?! They basically made everything look like a Patrick Nagel painting and it looks really, really cool. The writing, however, is pretty meh and it just didn't really seem all that funny. I'm hoping maybe it'll get better? I'll give it another ep or 2, maybe it needs to find it's footing...but man, visually, it looks really cool to me. So I hope it DOES get better. I want to like this show!
Wow...I hadn't heard of this show, but the style is just fantastic. I'll have to check it out, it just looks so cool!