In The Theaters

Working on anything outside of this forum? Let us know!
gaijinpunch
Anime Fan Since: 1980

Re: In The Theaters

Post by gaijinpunch »

Sorry for the late update.

The Baus Theater in Kichijouji is doing their Bakuon Egai Sai (Explosion Movie Festival) starting on 12/7 to 12/19. The theme? Katsuhiro Otomo. They kicked it off w/ the digital remaster of Akira. It sold out, quite quickly. It plays again on 12/19, to another sold out crowd. The two showings of the original 35mm print is not yet sold out.

The only film not listed (mysteriously) is Roujin-Z unfortunately. His other "films" (some of which he only took part in) are there. Memories and Meikyuu Monogatari (aka Manie Manie aka Labyrinth Tales aka Neo Tokyo) I will go see. Not sure about the new one: Short Peace. Robot Carnival is not on the list either. I assume getting a print of that would be tricky to say the least. Perhaps the same w/ Roujin Z. Steamboy is being played twice.

The reason you go to this festival is b/c they wheel in a club-worthy sound system. Loud is not the word. You can feel the sound in your spine at times. I took a mate who had only seen Akira in passing some 20 years ago. He was moved. He said, "if I had a glass of water, I'm sure at some level you'd have seen droplets levitating in mid air, not going up or down... just like the debris in so many scenes of the movie...". So true.

I wonder what it would entail doing something like that in the states. And I wonder if you'd be opening yourself up to a lawsuit... I felt I needed earplugs a few times.