Bubblegum Crisis love thread

Misc. anime/manga-related merchandise
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Bubblegum Crisis love thread

Post by greg »

So why not make a thread dedicated to just Bubblegum Crisis? Here I go...

I've been searching YAJ for some neat BGC stuff. Yesterday I bought a cool poster, and I'll share pics of it once I receive it.

So while I was looking through some stuff 'n things, I found that there were some Bubblegum Crisis novels written. Has anyone ever heard of those?

http://page10.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/a ... m113324551

It makes me wonder if those were ever translated back in the day, available for download from BBSes, FTP sites, etc. I'm tempted to buy these books, but they will be beyond my reading ability, I imagine. I really need to get back to reading more manga in Japanese.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
gaijinpunch
Anime Fan Since: 1980

Re: Bubblegum Crisis love thread

Post by gaijinpunch »

Buy an A3 scanner and scan those posters. I've actually scoured through YJ for BGC stuff. There's not tons of it (which I like) but the line of toys looks cool, and I will eventually get at least one of them. I'm not much of a figure guy, but I don't mind a cliche' or two on my dresser.
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

I'd buy them just for the covers! :lol: Would be nice if there were translations though.
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
greg

Post by greg »

gaijinpunch wrote:Buy an A3 scanner and scan those posters. I've actually scoured through YJ for BGC stuff. There's not tons of it (which I like) but the line of toys looks cool, and I will eventually get at least one of them. I'm not much of a figure guy, but I don't mind a cliche' or two on my dresser.
Oh, you mean THESE? Ah-REE HEE HEE!

You can click on the images for larger views.

Here is an action figure of Linna by Atelier Sai.

This figure is pretty cool. It's mostly just for making the figure strike a pose and stand on a shelf. It seems well-constructed at least, but the parts can fall off somewhat easily. I think there's a way to prevent that, though.

Linna was always my favorite, and that's why I have the Linna Shrine on my homepage.

The other two BGC toys I have are the Motoslave + figures by Yamato. On the left below is the first one I bought, which was Linna. On the right was the Priss one, which I bought a year or so later. The Priss one is a metallic color variation. I normally don't care for recolor variants, but the metallic makes this look so incredibly nice that I wish the Linna one was metallic-colored also.

Isn't the metallic red one awesome? You can have the figures riding inside of the Motoslave armor, but I thought it looked cool to have Priss posing next to it. The toys come in bike modes. I never did transform Linna's bike. I was praying to God the entire time I transformed Priss's bike so that it wouldn't break. It seems like if I forced a piece the wrong way, it could break.

So looking at the color choices of the big Atelier Sai Linna hardsuit figure vs. the smaller Yamato Linna hardsuit, I must say that the former looks far better than the latter. I should find out what the metallic colored Linna one looks like.

There are also plastic model kits of the Knight Saber + Motoslave sets made by Aoshima that I've been tempted to get, but I've never bought. I wonder how sturdy those might be as compared to the Yamato figures?
Last edited by greg on Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: My hovercraft is full of eels.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

omg!! I had no idea these figures existed!! O:
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
greg

Post by greg »

I remember looking at the Newtype Hobby and Toys catalogs in high school, drooling over the B-Club Special BGC garage kits. At the time, I didn't know much of what a garage kit was (hadn't watched Otaku no Video at the time), nor did I think that I could even paint one to make it look good. Nowadays, I would love to find one and build one, like at a Mandarake or even at a vendor's table at WonFes.

When these figures came out a while back, that was good enough for me!

If you go to Yodobashi.com, you can see pics of the Atelier Sai Hardsuit figures.

Here are the Yamato toys with the Motoslave bikes. Hmmm, so apparently only Priss got a metallic colored re-release? That's too bad. It'd be nice to get Sylia and Nene's too, since I've already collected half of the figures! Unfortunately, Yodobashi is all sold out, and these figures don't appear on YAJ very often.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
gaijinpunch

Post by gaijinpunch »

Yep, that's them!
They're not too crazy priced, and pop up regularly. Just gotta pull the trigger.
Hmmm, so apparently only Priss got a metallic colored re-release?
Yep -- it runs more than the others.
and these figures don't appear on YAJ very often.
Keep checking -- my proxy system emails users daily on it's finds. These usually pop up several times a month... sometimes a few times a week.
greg

Post by greg »

Well, if they don't go for very much, I may pick up the others. There was a YT video review of the Yamato toys by CollectionDX, and in it they describe some technique on making the joints stay on. I've been babied a bit with Revoltechs, since those are so fawesome and sturdy. The Yamato joints just don't stay together, and their arms are constantly falling off. The tall figures from Atelier Sai are a bit sturdier and a bit more posable, and the colors are better.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
gaijinpunch

Post by gaijinpunch »

I think they are in the 3000-3500 area, apiece.
Maybe cheaper if you're patient.
greg

Post by greg »

Yes, an auction for the Sylia Atelier Sai figure (the tall action figures without the bikes) just started recently. Too bad I'm already running low on funding. I'll have to wait until payday and see what's available then.

I am currently bidding on a B-Club BGC manga. It's only 300 yen, so it won't break the bank. There's a BGC artbook also for auction. Patience...
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page