Hello I've just Joined

Tell the old school world who you are, and let us welcome you into the forum!
Anime-Kyo-Uk
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Hello I've just Joined

Post by Anime-Kyo-Uk »

The short version from Anime-kyo-uk (aka. Carlo R.M. Bernhardi) is,
That I liked Giant Robot model kits in the 80's, then found some imported translated Manga from America in the late 80's that you could write to fan-Clubs (by posting a letter!!), also found some fanzines too. Got a few contacts, and it snowballed, I imported some raw Manga though 'Nippon Books' (in London) and a Japanese courier service.
By 1995 I ran the Biggest Fan run Anime club in Europe (over 350 member world wide) all before the World wide Web even took-off (and I wrote letters to all of them, as well as editing a club magazine).
So I can say I was at the Start of the UK's Anime Fandom, and did my part – still have tons of stuff video companies sent to the club; pre-edited time-coded VHS tapes and promotional stuff, and the like.

1988 to 1994 was a great time for me, and Anime!

“My favourite Anime (aged 24 199?) films are:- Totoro, Five Star Stories, Macross (Do you remember Love), Kiki's Delivery Service, and Akira.
The manga I like includes:- Nausicaa of the valley of the Wind, Outlanders, Appleseed, Grey, and Lost Continent.
My favourite characters form manga are:- Justy and Grey and form Anime are Totoro and Lupin III.

I have started a UK Blog on the Anime Fandom in the late 80's and early 90's The Anime Nostalgia Facility http://anime-nostalgia-facility.blogspot.co.uk/

All input welcome..!
PinkAppleJam
Anime Fan Since: 1992

Re: Hello I've just Joined

Post by PinkAppleJam »

Hi Carlo, I'm really looking forward to reading your posts and blog!

The UK retro anime party wing has started XD
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

Nice to see another fan from the UK~ Welcome to the forum~
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Welcome, welcome! Always great to see more members, especially from other sides of the world!
I think it's interesting to hear about other countries "fandom" hisstory, so I'm looking forward to hearing more from you and seeing more updates to your site! Would you mind if I linked you? I run an American-based site & podcast called "Anime Nostalgia" so your site is definitely relevant to me! :lol:
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
robodaz
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by robodaz »

Ey up, big lad.

:D
"I like this wolf. He's not freezing his ass of in Alaska chasing snow bunnies. He just goes to pig's houses and blows on them" - Christopher Walken.
Heibi
Anime Fan Since: 1976

Post by Heibi »

Welcome.
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

I believe I wrote to you back in the day. Most of my correspondence was destroyed in the move to my latest house, so I will probably not know. I think though you might have sent me the Italian Star Blazers books I own.

Welcome aboard!

Anyone know what happened to the 2 French or Belgian fans that used to attend all the early conventions back in the 1990s? I think one went on to start his own distribution company but I can't be sure. Have to check some materials from that time. Two wild and crazy guys I think about often. Would be great to hear from them again!
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Post by Daniel »

Welcome!
Sgirl
Anime Fan Since: 1995

Post by Sgirl »

Very cool to have another UK person on board! Welcome!
yusaku
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Post by yusaku »

Hello! I am a big fan of Outlanders. I have a huge collection of Maison Ikkoku. You are going to like it here.
***^__^***