Pacific Rim doesn't take off in Japan

Discuss anything and everything relating to that fascinating island empire of the east
Heibi
Anime Fan Since: 1976

Re: Pacific Rim doesn't take off in Japan

Post by Heibi »

I loved Pacific Rim. I thought they did a great job with the script that they had to work with. The special effects were actually pretty good.
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

This is interesting:

http://youtu.be/HndBiSyOrK4

Sorry. Couldn't figure out how to embed video here...

Full story here:

http://www.deadline.com/2014/06/pacific ... -del-toro/
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

I saw that on Twitter--so excited!! I'm glad they're giving Pacific Rim a chance to be a full franchise! I really enjoyed it a lot. :D
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Heero
Anime Fan Since: 1980

Post by Heero »

Thank you China! :lol:
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

That cartoon better be violent or else!
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

greg wrote:That cartoon better be violent or else!
Maybe like the Starship Troopers CGI series which was pretty grim sometimes for a kid's show but not in the "R" rated category like the first film. Can't have everything I suppose. Now if they had done the Spawn movie like they did the HBO cartoon series, that would have been something...
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

I think Masami Obari posted on Twitter that he really wanted to be apart of the Pacific Rim animation. Which would be awesome, considering he's one of my favorite mecha animators.
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
X-KID Z

Post by X-KID Z »

Pacific Rim was really cool to watch in all it's big budget cinema popcorn glory. Being a big fan of Robot Jox I set the bar pretty high for standards(just kidding...a little bit, I love Robot Jox). I was happy with the Super Robot, Monster, elements put into the movie. Nothing really groundbreaking, just fell a little short in hitting bullseye sweet spot for me. Other than that it was fun, and I admire Guillermo Del Toro as a director. In the end it just made me more exciting about filming my own summer popcorn giant robot movie.

Elysium won my vote for favorite summer movie of the year for that year. For a while I only saw the movie poster and it didn't grab my attention. Not until I saw the extended trailer that showed the Elysium space colony my interest was piqued. With District 9 and Elysium, Neill Blomkamp is really making me happy. I was so delighted to find out months after I watched Elysium that Syd Mead did the designs for the movie. This made me remember seeing the shot overlooking the Elysium landscape from the house, and that exact shot is what got me excited. Of course it would be Syd Mead!
Last edited by X-KID Z on Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kwantzu dudes!
X-KID Z

Post by X-KID Z »

Another note on Pacific Rim. After watching it for the second time on Blu-ray I still enjoyed it, but like with many CG movies today, I thought it was really cool, but I'm basically watching a 3D animated movie. Which I have nothing against, but I miss actual real live mechanics! I haven't seen the latest Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle, but the Jim Henson Turtles from the old movies were just masterpieces! Nothing beats real life action in film.

Real Jackie Chan doing crazy dangerous stunts > CGI
Real life animatronics, explosions, puppetry, old school hollywood movie magic > CGI

Although cool looking, I dont' get the feeling of intensity and impactfulness from CGI. Of course CGI is the easier way I guess.
Kwantzu dudes!
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

X-KID Z wrote:I was so delighted to find out months after I watched Elysium that Syd Mead did the designs for the movie.
:shock: I have the sudden urge to go rent Elysium now!
X-KID Z wrote:Real Jackie Chan doing crazy dangerous stunts > CGI
Real life animatronics, explosions, puppetry, old school hollywood movie magic > CGI
You are right. And that is why I am very glad that these new Star Wars movies will be using actual starship props and models. The horrible prequel movies were nothing but tired-looking actors standing in front of Windows 95 desktop wallpapers (or sitting down on a sofa or something).
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page