Escaflowne.Net

Working on anything outside of this forum? Let us know!
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Escaflowne.Net

Post by usamimi »

So my good friend Trudy just opened a new forum and website specifically all about Escaflowne: http://escaflowne.net/forums/index.php

She also eventually wants to make Escaflowne.net a full-blown fansite, similar to Ohtori.nu and old Anime Domain fansites of the past. Since it just opened there isn't much, but if you're a fan of the series, I encourage you to join! Esp. if you have ideas or things to help contribute, I'm sure she'd love to see people post fanart, cosplay, scans/photos of merch, etc.

Escaflowne's a favorite of mine, so you better believe you'll see me there! XD
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Re: Escaflowne.Net

Post by _D_ »

Isn't Futari Ecchi more popular? Same creator but he seems to have found his niche. Other than the sex, it's a pretty good soap opera. You actually get to care for the people in the series. Though the US only got 4 volumes of the manga, places like France, Germany, Italy, etc. got the full 50+ run. Online, there are at least 15 volumes that have been fan translated into English.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Katsu Aki made an Escaflowne manga, but it was only loosely based on the concept of Escaflowne (since the story was originally created for anime, not adapted from an already-established manga). Katsu Aki's manga is VERY, very different from what the anime became--the fandom of Escaflowne is primarily focused solely on the anime series, as that it the strongest and best version of the Escaflowne story.

Katsu Aki's Futari Ecchi manga is indeed more popular than their Escaflowne adaptation, but really, the manga was sort of a flop in the first place, so that kinda goes without saying. ^^;

But I would say that the Escaflowne anime has a much bigger fanbase than Futari Ecchi, so there ya go. XD
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

Hmmm...according to the wiki on these series Aki was brought in to do the manga based off the original idea from Kawamori but then during the 2 years the production of the anime was in limbo, the production was altered from the original material. Still means the manga came first though. It's popular but all the producers have gone on to other works. Would have been nice to have seen a revival but I guess it's not in the works. FE also has a huge base and since its an ongoing title, it only gets bigger. It had a live movie released last year but I don't know much about it. Can't see a live Escaflowne being done though unless Patlabor does well. Might make a nice change since medieval fantasies seem to be a box office draw at least in some places...
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Well, TECHNICALLY the manga came first, yes, but the anime was created from an original idea, and not the manga. (As the manga was also created from that original idea, too, it just evolved into something else.) I've read some of the manga, and it's definitely got more of a "generic shounen" feel to it than Escaflowne the anime (which feels like a mashup of fantasy shounen and fantasy shoujo, in all the right ways).

I feel that Escaflowne WAS pretty popular, back in the day? I mean, it even got a full cover story in Animerica WAY before it was ever licensed in America. Almost all of my friends knew and loved it at the time, too, and many people I know got into Yoko Kanno's music via Escaflowne (since she did, what...6 soundtracks for it? Heh.) Fox even tried to do that AWFUL "kids" version that was on TV for a while, lol. And then there was the movie version that came out a few years after, which was ok (I didn't think it was as good as the series), but was even shown in some theaters here, and was a lot of people's only exposure to Escaflowne.

Even know, I'm amazed at how many people seem really excited for the re-release of the anime coming from Funimation, so it's not that it's not popular...the fans are just older and less vocal now, I think. Since the series has been out of print and isn't streaming legally anywhere, newer anime fans might not even know about it. (Which I think is a shame, it's one of my favorites of the 90s)

I dunno if I'd wanna see a live-action version of Escaflowne...live-action fantasy adaptations are always tricky. Plus they'd probably have to do the movie storyline, which I don't think is nearly as good.
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

Escaflowne, it did ok, well known in the anime fan community, lots of people enjoyed it and remember it fondly. I don't know that "Futari Ecchi", which I have only just now been made aware of, really is the same kind of thing, or would have the same sort of appeal. Apples and oranges, I should think. I imagine "futariecchi.net" is availabe for those who wish to really express their Futari Ecchi fandom, though.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

davemerrill wrote:Escaflowne, it did ok, well known in the anime fan community, lots of people enjoyed it and remember it fondly. I don't know that "Futari Ecchi", which I have only just now been made aware of, really is the same kind of thing, or would have the same sort of appeal. Apples and oranges, I should think. I imagine "futariecchi.net" is availabe for those who wish to really express their Futari Ecchi fandom, though.
Exactly. Futari Ecchi is well known with older male fans, I'm sure, but other than that I think even fewer people remember it (doesn't help that what little got released in English was released under a different name). It's a cute mature title, but I don't think it's really comparable to Escaflowne other than the fact that they shared a manga artist for a manga adaptation that was never really all that popular.
Sgirl
Anime Fan Since: 1995

Post by Sgirl »

Ahhh, I was pretty hardcore Escaflowne fan back in the day. Wrote a few fanfics under several aliases too focusing on all the obscure characters. (I was a pretty big fan of Allen/Eries and Dryden/Millerna.)

I haven't drawn anything for Escaflowne in years though. Will go look at the site :3
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Sgirl wrote:Ahhh, I was pretty hardcore Escaflowne fan back in the day. Wrote a few fanfics under several aliases too focusing on all the obscure characters. (I was a pretty big fan of Allen/Eries and Dryden/Millerna.)

I haven't drawn anything for Escaflowne in years though. Will go look at the site :3
Oh how awesome! There's already a few people who've joined who were apparently fic writers back in the day, so you definitely wouldn't be alone. ;D