Someone dumped all their Japanese manga into a dumpster...

Discuss manga, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles, and related sub-topics
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Someone dumped all their Japanese manga into a dumpster...

Post by kndy »

Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Re: Someone dumped all their Japanese manga into a dumpster.

Post by Animusubi »

OMG WHY?! I hate seeing things like this, I hope someone went and rescued them! D: I mean, there's a Half Price Books and Goodwills in San Francisco for cripes sake!

Seeing things like these always makes me sad that people probably do this alot. They just toss them thinking there's no value, but I can't shake what could possibly be in there.
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
Mike Toole
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Mike Toole »

"Someone" my foot! Viz are moving offices this week. If I was in SF, I'd have gone over there. ;)
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Mike Toole wrote:"Someone" my foot! Viz are moving offices this week. If I was in SF, I'd have gone over there. ;)
That would make sense, I'm sure that office accumulated a hell of a lot of books no one wants or has room for over the years. XD (Also, it looks like those are all Viz titles...Bleach, Tenjo Tenge, D Gray Man....)

Damn, if I lived anywhere near there, you'd see me dumpster-diving for sure. Just from those pictures I can see Arina Tanemura manga in there. :lol:
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
kndy

Post by kndy »

Mike Toole wrote:"Someone" my foot! Viz are moving offices this week. If I was in SF, I'd have gone over there. ;)
Not sure if it's Viz because the manga are all Japanese. But I did send a message out to the company VP.
kndy

Post by kndy »

ryoran wrote:OMG WHY?! I hate seeing things like this, I hope someone went and rescued them! D: I mean, there's a Half Price Books and Goodwills in San Francisco for cripes sake!

Seeing things like these always makes me sad that people probably do this alot. They just toss them thinking there's no value, but I can't shake what could possibly be in there.
One person on my FB replied:

We pretty much had to do the same thing.. Tried to sell like 1,100 shojo manga to the lame BookOff the used to be in Vancouver only to be told they would take only 80 of them.. had to abandon them there (they said they would donate them to the local tonari gumi) and the remaining 1500 we owed pretty much threw them into the recycling bin when we were preparing to move across country..but only after trying to give them away on craigslist.. Luckily i was able to get digital versions of nearly 90% of what we owned. We hated to do it but we simply could not move 700 lbs of manga anymore let alone across country.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

kndy wrote:
Not sure if it's Viz because the manga are all Japanese. But I did send a message out to the company VP.
I'm assuming they'd get Japanese tankobon of the manga they were working on, though---I had a friend who briefly worked at Tokyopop and they gave her free copies of the Japanese books she helped edit/work on if she wanted to take them home, read, and/or use for sound-effects references. (Plus back when Viz ran Animerica, I remember they'd often use art from whatever manga they were talking about for article artwork--esp. back when half the magazine was in black & white. Most of those titles look a little newer than that, but y'know. XD)
PinkAppleJam
Anime Fan Since: 1992

Post by PinkAppleJam »

Did anyone get a screengrab/got it cachéd? It's flagged for removal my way.

Man... what a waste. Couldn't someone have donated them to Goodwill/Charity shop?
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

I sent the link to 2 friends in the area this morning, and one of them said that since that was posted a few days ago, people probably have already come & dug through it by now. (And whatever's left is either bring sent to be recycled or trashed.)

If that dumpster really was completely filled with books, I can kind of understand why they just tossed them...they would need a huge truck or car to haul that many books off to a book store or to charity...and even then, there's no guarantee they'd even be accepted. I think they would've had some people interested if they had boxes labeled "free manga!" outside, but at the same time, most new collectors of manga only want books in English....so they probably just didn't have the time for a that & dumped em, sadly. :/
yusaku
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Post by yusaku »

I sure wish I was there to do some dumpster diving. The image is now removed from Craigslist. It would have been best for them to put the word out and people would have gladly took the books away. It really was a waste to throw all those books away. Even the Japanese language books would have been useful for study of the language.
***^__^***