AWA '13

Working on anything outside of this forum? Let us know!
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

AWA '13

Post by davemerrill »

here's what I'm up to at AWA in a few weeks:

SuperHappyFunSell:

Old School Classroom this year is all about TCJ:

Anime Hell is back!

A panel all about Knack, possibly the worst anime studio in Japan

Neil and I and surprise guests discuss meaningful anime that has impacted our lives meaningfully...

I'm also on an 80s panel on Friday and an anime con chair panel on Sunday. Busy weekend!! If you're gonna be there, let me know!
yusaku
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Re: AWA '13

Post by yusaku »

Sounds like a lot of fun! Wish I could be there. The last anime convention I went to was Nan Desu Kan in Colorado in 2000. I have not been able to go back in years. Mostly because I had to spend my vacations with my family in the South. My folks do not get the anime fanboy thing I got going. Especially since I have not told them. I intend to use some that vacation time they do not know about to go anime convention. I am sooo bringing my cello! Next year I intend to go to at least one anime convention.
***^__^***
davemerrill

Post by davemerrill »

You should come to AWA. One of the convention's admin is a cellist, plays with a local orchestra.
yusaku

Post by yusaku »

I would have responded earlier, but I had some internet connectivity issues last night. It is very exciting to meet a cellist that is into anime. The trip to AWA is very appealing having a dual purpose. I get to meet someone accomplished in music, a cellist, and an anime fanboy; I have not found anyone here like that here . The conversations that I am eager to have with that fellow. There are anime songs that I have been trying to transcribe for the cello, but I have limited playing ability. My instructor can play most any cello piece, but only after I introduce him to the anime pieces I like. I just know your friend has played through the "Sunlit Garden" from the Utena Series. I would like to come to hang out with him and the orchestra. Then we can hang out at the anime convention. Yet, there is a small problem.

My birthday is next week; and my last week of vacation starts tomorrow. It is too late to switch weeks; and I know that I may have to rain check on the up coming AWA convention. I am grateful that you told me about the con and your cellist friend. Will you know in advance for the next AWA convention. I would like to attend AWA '14 and meet you and your cellist friend. My vacation weeks renew January of next year. I think it would be fun to come early Sunday and leave Sunday night. I think we could have a pretty good time before and during the convention. I could look around Atlanta while I am there. ^_^
***^__^***
Heero
Anime Fan Since: 1980

Post by Heero »

yusaku wrote:I would have responded earlier, but I had some internet connectivity issues last night. It is very exciting to meet a cellist that is into anime.
You should look into "Ramen & Rice", they are a cello&violin duo that go to anime cons across the US. I know they used to pay for trips by playing for "tips" at cons, nowadays they are featured guests at some cons.

http://ramenandrice.metaminstrel.net/
yusaku

Post by yusaku »

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! That was exactly the kind of entertainment I am into right now. Being a musician, I am into anime music and soundtrack performers. I am checking out the link right after I post this.
***^__^***
gaijinpunch
Anime Fan Since: 1980

Post by gaijinpunch »

Is Neil who I think it is? The last name escapes me... w/ all kinds of other things. :)
davemerrill

Post by davemerrill »

The "Neil" is Neil Nadelman, professional anime translator, host of "Totally Lame Anime", and owner of the House On Neil Beach where we visit when we're in Boston, which isn't often enough.