ADR writing a book on DIC's Sailor Moon Dub

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Re: ADR writing a book on DIC's Sailor Moon Dub

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

usamimi wrote:Ah, yes, thank you! I'd been meaning to update this but it just kept slipping my mind :oops:
Actually a friend of mine read it recently and she said that she was a little disappointed in it because she said the way the book was structured, it didn't give a whole lot of insight on the actual creation of the dub or why certain choices were made, but more of "Hey look we made this great thing!" *lots of back-patting all around*. So I dunno when I'll read it. Maybe if the price goes a bit lower, lol.
I bought the Kindle edition, it's under $4 right now. For that price, you almost can't go wrong!
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

ah well that's not too bad. when it first came out it was like $10 so I was like "eh...maybe later" XD
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

usamimi wrote:Ah, yes, thank you! I'd been meaning to update this but it just kept slipping my mind :oops:
Actually a friend of mine read it recently and she said that she was a little disappointed in it because she said the way the book was structured, it didn't give a whole lot of insight on the actual creation of the dub or why certain choices were made, but more of "Hey look we made this great thing!" *lots of back-patting all around*. So I dunno when I'll read it. Maybe if the price goes a bit lower, lol.
Aw man. So what was the point of the book if there is no real insight or no gossip?
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Ok, so I finally read it and....hmm. Well, I'm thinking I might post a long review somewhere. But this book was a mixed bag of SOME interesting stuff and a bunch of random anecdotes on outdated voice acting production. If you're willing to toss a few bucks to hear a few interesting tid-bits and unreleased personal photos mixed in with a bunch of random stuff and things you already knew, it's not so bad. But to give you an idea, the best things in the book by FAR where the things contributed to him from the actors themselves. You can really tell this is self-published.
Kame-Sen'nin

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

Thanks for the review usamimi! It does still sound interesting to me, so I think it will be worth a read. Hopefully I'll learn some interesting stuff!
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Kame-Sen'nin wrote:Thanks for the review usamimi! It does still sound interesting to me, so I think it will be worth a read. Hopefully I'll learn some interesting stuff!
No prob! I actually wrote a much longer review and threw it up on my podcast tumblr here: http://animenostalgia.tumblr.com/post/1 ... eflections

I would say just for the never-released photos and stuff the actual actresses wrote makes the ebook worth purchasing. The rest is kinda meh, though...Glad I didn't rush out to order a physical copy! :lol:
Kame-Sen'nin

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

usamimi wrote:No prob! I actually wrote a much longer review and threw it up on my podcast tumblr here: http://animenostalgia.tumblr.com/post/1 ... eflections

I would say just for the never-released photos and stuff the actual actresses wrote makes the ebook worth purchasing. The rest is kinda meh, though...Glad I didn't rush out to order a physical copy! :lol:
Thanks for linking to your review! It looks like it got a lot of reblogs and likes, so it seems like your followers appreciated it as well!