The "Check this item out on eBay" Thread

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
User avatar
Kame-Sen'nin
Posts: 448
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:20 am
Anime Fan Since: 1996

The "Check this item out on eBay" Thread

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

Do you ever run across amazing, rare, or just plain weird anime and manga-related items on eBay? If so, please post them in this thread. Who knows, you just might post the rare item that someone on this forum has been seeking for years!

I'll start off with this interesting piece: an AOL floppy disk advertising their "Japanimation Station"
User avatar
usamimi
Posts: 2760
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:00 pm
Anime Fan Since: 1987
Location: The Lonestar State
Contact:

Re: The "Check this item out on eBay" Thread

Post by usamimi »

WOW....good luck getting anyone to pay $75 for a freakin' AOL DISC, man. :lol:

I'm sad I'm totally broke because Sailor Moon fansite Miss Dream put up a set of 1997 Nakayoshi back issues featuring the entire run of PQ Angels--the story Naoko Takeuchi did after Sailor Moon that got prematurely canceled, thus never getting republished in a tankobon format. (I actually used to have several of these issues, but I stupidly sold them when I was in high school to get some extra money. :P)

This one I actually posted this on the Anime Nostalgia blog because it made laugh--Someone had a Lupin figure that came with a couch, and a Lum figure that was originally attached to a Pachinko machine, so they put them together as a pair in this auction. XD I was actually tempted to bid on it, but the price got too high for me near the end. (Well, with the shipping, since it was from Japan.) There were a lot of funny pictures in the auction, but sadly they look to be gone now...but the main picture's still there, at least. :mrgreen:
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
User avatar
Kame-Sen'nin
Posts: 448
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:20 am
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Re: The "Check this item out on eBay" Thread

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

usamimi wrote:This one I actually posted this on the Anime Nostalgia blog because it made laugh--Someone had a Lupin figure that came with a couch, and a Lum figure that was originally attached to a Pachinko machine, so they put them together as a pair in this auction. XD I was actually tempted to bid on it, but the price got too high for me near the end. (Well, with the shipping, since it was from Japan.) There were a lot of funny pictures in the auction, but sadly they look to be gone now...but the main picture's still there, at least. :mrgreen:
:lol: Who wouldn't want to watch the Lupin/Urusei Yatsura crossover special? Count me in!
User avatar
usamimi
Posts: 2760
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:00 pm
Anime Fan Since: 1987
Location: The Lonestar State
Contact:

Re: The "Check this item out on eBay" Thread

Post by usamimi »

Kame-Sen'nin wrote::lol: Who wouldn't want to watch the Lupin/Urusei Yatsura crossover special? Count me in!
Right?! Haha!

Ok, not eBay, but I found this old "Berkley Journal of Japanese Animation" on Etsy today: http://www.etsy.com/listing/158326518/v ... journal-of

I had to laugh at the price, though...$20? Yeah, good luck with that. XD
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
SteveH
Posts: 645
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:30 am
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)
Location: Michigan and the Sea of Stars
Contact:

Re: The "Check this item out on eBay" Thread

Post by SteveH »

usamimi wrote:
Kame-Sen'nin wrote::lol: Who wouldn't want to watch the Lupin/Urusei Yatsura crossover special? Count me in!
Right?! Haha!

Ok, not eBay, but I found this old "Berkley Journal of Japanese Animation" on Etsy today: http://www.etsy.com/listing/158326518/v ... journal-of

I had to laugh at the price, though...$20? Yeah, good luck with that. XD
Well, that actually is some 'historical interest' material there, but not $20 for the shape it's in. No f'ing way. $10 max. And I'd try to talk the seller down to $5. But I have Scottish blood, so I'm cheap genetically. :)
davemerrill
Posts: 1180
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:38 pm
Anime Fan Since: 1984
Location: the YYZ
Contact:

Re: The "Check this item out on eBay" Thread

Post by davemerrill »

That "Anime" book was published by the UC Berkeley chapter of CAL-Animage, the group of anime clubs based at various California universities in the late 80s and early 90s. Probably some members here on this board.

It's translations and synopses, 300 pages of translations and synopses. As I remember a lot of it was stuff they downloaded from various BBS's. Barely any "editorial" whatsoever, just a giant book full of transcripts of dialog from Nadia TV episodes, Gunbuster, and Ranma 1/2. I can recall seeing it at the time and thinking what a total wasted opportunity it was; printed at the university press for next to nothing, distributed nationally through comic book shops, all to give people translations of Nadia episodes and character design sheets photocopied from anime magazines.
User avatar
greg
Posts: 2159
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:00 pm
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)
Location: Shizuoka-ken, Japan
Contact:

Re: The "Check this item out on eBay" Thread

Post by greg »

Not only that, but it divulges Nadia's shoe size right on the front cover. I've always been more interested in that than her bust size! :lol:

NOT!
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
User avatar
usamimi
Posts: 2760
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:00 pm
Anime Fan Since: 1987
Location: The Lonestar State
Contact:

Re: The "Check this item out on eBay" Thread

Post by usamimi »

I noticed it said it had scripts in the description...I figured it might be something like that. Which is why I had a laugh. $20 for transcripts of anime hardly anyone cares about anymore? No one's that gullible.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Heero
Posts: 260
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:32 am
Anime Fan Since: 1980
Contact:

Re: The "Check this item out on eBay" Thread

Post by Heero »

*sheepish grin*
Uh... I once owned that book (probably not that COPY, but still). Two things to note:
#1. The first couple of items in the contents are scripts, the REST are "synopses" or "summaries" of the episodes
#2. That said, if you are a real fan of Nadia, I PERSONALLY think it might be worth $20. Not in that "resale" kind of way, but in that "it's a good snapshot of older fandom AND has a lot of Nadia info" kind of way. (The other series material is minimal enough that I don't think it's worthwhile if you have no interest in Nadia)

I haven't watched much Nadia, but I know the entirely story, beginning to end because of that book. And for a club produced book, it is really slick. That said, especially in this internet age, it IS more of a "curiosity" rather the true reference item it was "back in the day".

All that noted, it's a good time to mention that apparently Nadia recently got licensed by Sentai Filmworks and will be re-released soon on BD & DVD.
User avatar
usamimi
Posts: 2760
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:00 pm
Anime Fan Since: 1987
Location: The Lonestar State
Contact:

Re: The "Check this item out on eBay" Thread

Post by usamimi »

Heero wrote:*sheepish grin*
Uh... I once owned that book (probably not that COPY, but still). Two things to note:
#1. The first couple of items in the contents are scripts, the REST are "synopses" or "summaries" of the episodes
#2. That said, if you are a real fan of Nadia, I PERSONALLY think it might be worth $20. Not in that "resale" kind of way, but in that "it's a good snapshot of older fandom AND has a lot of Nadia info" kind of way. (The other series material is minimal enough that I don't think it's worthwhile if you have no interest in Nadia)

I haven't watched much Nadia, but I know the entirely story, beginning to end because of that book. And for a club produced book, it is really slick. That said, especially in this internet age, it IS more of a "curiosity" rather the true reference item it was "back in the day".

All that noted, it's a good time to mention that apparently Nadia recently got licensed by Sentai Filmworks and will be re-released soon on BD & DVD.
Nothing wrong with that! I honestly was thinking of picking it up until I saw that $20 price tag. I'm assuming since it's old and "anime", the person thinks it must be worth something...but like Steve said, I'd be more interested if it was $5, which is probably closer to what it's actually worth.

I actually posted about that in the DVD/blu-ray release thread! :D
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Post Reply