This YouTube buttcrap from Google needs to stop

Stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else goes here!
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Re: This YouTube buttcrap from Google needs to stop

Post by greg »

I have been uploading most of my videos to both YouTube and DailyMotion for the past couple of months. It's the same content, but DailyMotion just does not have the same viewership as YouTube does at all. Maybe it's just because I have nearly 2,000 subscribers on YouTube, but I am disappointed that more people aren't switching over to DM from YT. I know that Classic Game Room boycotted YT for several months, only making small videos about Hot Wheels cars and such while they continued to upload gaming videos on DM.

I like the categories on DM better. Of course they have a gaming category (something Vimeo has prohibited, and as such I have deleted my account on that lame site), but they also have a "geek out" category. I wish YT had the foresight to create such a category.

I couldn't care less about FB. It's bad enough that I've had some phonies track me down on LinkedIn, and I created that account specifically to connect with people I've worked with---not people I once knew from high school or saw occasionally at church 7 years ago or whatever. That is totally not the purpose of LI, yet they found me regardless.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
greg

Post by greg »

Here's my most recent pet peeve: Google, in their infinite wisdom, has decided to end e-mail notifications. My gmail account had even been set up to file social media alerts from stuff like YouTube and Twitter into its own tab. Within YouTube, I could check a box to elect to be notified via e-mail whenever a channel I'd subscribed to uploads a video. This way, I could stay on top of the videos I cared about most. Those checkboxes are still there, too.

However, I no longer receive such e-mail notifications. What the hell are they thinking? Once upon a time, when I subscribed to a channel, a pop up would ask if I wanted to have notifications sent to my e-mail address as well. That was convenient. But later I had to go into my subscription manager and dink around with checkboxes. Now, despite having elected to be notified, I no longer get notifications. STUPID.

So now I have to manually go into YouTube to browse my subscriptions. A few evenings ago, I went through and removed about 50 subscriptions that I no longer really care about because of this.

:roll:

Also, now I have no direct access to my Video Manager. I now have to click on my "Creator Studio" (ooooh, fancy) and from there, go into my Video Manager. They've already buried my inbox, and now they've buried my Video Manager with this "creator studio" nonsense.

:roll:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
greg

Post by greg »

Another reason to complain. They used to allow subscribed channels to be browsed by "collections." (Or whatever they were called.) I had a bundle for modeling, a bundle for video gaming, a bundle for anime stuff, and a bundle for general nerd crap. Then they had this disclaimer saying, "Subscription collections will be discontinued on May 26th as we endeavor to improve our subscriptions." So what do they have in its place? NOTHING. I'll look at their "browse channels" and what's the first thing? "#PopularOnYouTube! Oh yes, I just have to know what's popular because hey, I want to be on top of crap that is popular, right? Now all I can see are channel recommendations, but not what I want to see.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
greg

Post by greg »

Google was actually listening to the complaints! They are going to separate Google+ from being a requirement for YouTube. Here's a link to their YouTube blog. I actually noticed a decline in the number of trolls due to the G+ integration, though. That was the only really good thing that came from that situation that I can think of.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page