Dr. Who 50th anniversary special broadcast

Non-anime/manga-related TV, movies, books, and comics, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Dr. Who 50th anniversary special broadcast

Post by _D_ »

Will start here in about 15 minutes. Going to be broadcast in 80 countries simultaneously as well as in many movie theatres in 3D. Been a big Who fan for many decades but still feeling a little odd about this. I don't much like the Matt Smith incarnation of the character and have tried to watch him 3 times without success. My fave is still Jon Pertwee from the 1970s when I picked back up on the show. I had seen it as a child in the 1960s but it had not made an impression on me. I still have the tapes of the show recorded from TVOntario starting in 1980 and it's good that I did not erase them or discard them as there is material on them that was destroyed by TVO some years later. People are into collecting that material as well as station IDs, commercials, etc. which I have a lot of and I intend on going through to find this winter. I also had a lot of early US/Canada anime recordings that have commercials, promos, etc. that people are looking for. A lot of work to find it all on tapes now over 3 decades old but worth it I guess.

Oops! Time to get going...
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Re: Dr. Who 50th anniversary special broadcast

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

Happy 50th anniversary to the Doctor Who franchise!

My personal favorite incarnation of the Doctor is still Tom Baker, although I am somewhat partial to David Tennant's portrayal as well.
_D_ wrote:I had seen it as a child in the 1960s but it had not made an impression on me. I still have the tapes of the show recorded from TVOntario starting in 1980 and it's good that I did not erase them or discard them as there is material on them that was destroyed by TVO some years later. People are into collecting that material as well as station IDs, commercials, etc. which I have a lot of and I intend on going through to find this winter. I also had a lot of early US/Canada anime recordings that have commercials, promos, etc. that people are looking for. A lot of work to find it all on tapes now over 3 decades old but worth it I guess.
Best of luck in cataloging that material! I'd say that it is definitely worth it, especially if your recordings have any footage that is considered to be lost.
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

My bud uploaded 6 Judith Merill critiques from the old TVOntario broadcasts but 4 of them got flagged as copyright violations and removed! Neither of us can figure out why. None of that footage exists at TVO as it was wiped back in the 1980s. And why keep 2 segments and eliminate 4 more that were part of the same series of clips? That's one reason I haven't bothered with Youtube in many years...inconsistency...
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Post by SteveH »

The 50th special was good, very clever in many ways, I see it has some people harrumphing and bloviating but hey, I was entertained. :) I thought it was a shame that Tennant was dropped and I think it's a shame Smith got dropped. I hope at some time the real story of both firings comes to light because both actors really came across as completely gobsmacked over the news(at the respective times) and had to shuffle like mad to put on the 'team player happy face'.

But the best, THE BEST IMHO was the special on the making of Doctor Who, the creation. An Adventure in Space and Time was a warm, lovely docu-drama and it looked like they got everything right. Maybe could have used more smoking. :) Oh, I'm sure it glossed over many of the nasty bits and ignored uncomfortable truths, but that doesn't really matter to me in this case.

And I will be totally honest. The ending completely destroyed me. I became super-weepy sobby man. I blame the use of music. :)

No, that's not fair. I was caught up in it. Shields were down. Cynicism disconnected.

Objectively, the actor playing Patrick Troughton didn't quite 'hit' it, as Troughton was a bit more beefy with a rather worn face. Everyone else seemed like, if not the spitting image, at the very least an idealized image of the people they were portraying.

I think I'll pick up the DVD of this if they make it available.
yusaku
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Post by yusaku »

My favorite Doctor was Tom Baker. I have been collecting episodes for quite awhile. I have them on DVD. I got the E Space Trilogy, The Key To Time Series, and various other episodes. It has always been my desire to find my Romana, the Doctor's assistant, in my life. My desire is to have a Tardis, which will be substituted for a yacht or RV, to travel around in from time to time and place to place.
***^__^***