The Show Off Your Manga Stuff Thread

Discuss manga, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles, and related sub-topics
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

The Show Off Your Manga Stuff Thread

Post by Daniel »

Got a collection of manga that you'd like to show pictures of?

Just came back from a shopping trip?

Here's the thread dedicated to showing off all your manga stuff...!

(I don't have any photos to post at the moment, but I'm making this thread in case anyone wants to use it...!)
TSOJ
Anime Fan Since: 1990

Re: The Show Off Your Manga Stuff Thread

Post by TSOJ »

Heh. Kind of wish I kept my photos of Mandarake...
I've never really had a lot of bookshelf space, so my collection has generally been limited to 10-20 books that I really wanted to keep (Geobreeders, Wilderness, Space Family Carlvincent). But, I like manga more than anime, so this is the thread I feel more comfortable in. Plus, I have a Book-Off used bookstore within a 5 minute walk of me, so I treat them as kind of my overflow library. It didn't help that my wife panicked after the earthquake and we moved out of Tokyo with me carrying just an extra t-shirt, a spare pair of underwear and some socks. The current apartment is smaller than the last one, so my collection is whatever I can fit under my bed.

Currently, I'm reading Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei, and I'm sorely tempted to try tracking down Kikuchi Shota's "Sanshirou^2".

Back a few years ago, I was reading the Japan Times, and one of their book reviewers made one too many fawning references to Garo, so I figured that I might as well check it out for myself and try putting the guy in his place. I ended up reading about 5 years worth of back issues (from 1967 to 1972), and developed an appreciation for Shigeru Mizuki's "Hakuba Kitaro", and "Kamui" (man, that story got dark at the end). I ran some highlights from each issue on http://nihongo-kun.blogspot.com/. (On the other hand, the authors that the Japan Times guy loved never struck me as being all that great, like "Red-Colored Elegy".
Guwashi!
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Post by kndy »

I have a good size collection of manga from '70s to present. While I have purchased titles for myself, how I got most of them is from Japanese who had to return back to Japan after living in America for college. A lot of them left their manga with me.

I have been giving away some because I have too many comic books and manga boxes but I'll try to take some pictures and post them on here.
Heero
Anime Fan Since: 1980

Post by Heero »

I've filled a bookcase and the wife has filled about as much. I'm begging Viz (and Yen Press) to put out their app(s) on Android so I can switch to digital for a lot of manga and save myself space. (-_-) Plus, it'd allow me to take a bunch of manga with me while travelling a lot more easily.
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

I'm trying to get some pictures off my friend's tablet with my bookshelf, for now though here's some of my recent comic purchases from Half Price Books in the last year, certainly not everything though. I snagged these from my Instagram.

This haul only cost me $2.

This one cost me $2.75.

I love me some Half Price Books. I'm kinda upset though, I had put my name on a wishlist for any Ranma 1/2 single issues I was missing (trying to collect them all), since I heard from an employee say they had a huge stack in the back of them, but they never called and recently my roommate caught some in their discount bin that were freshly put out. I'll have to go there myself and ask them if I can look at them. Or any single issue things for that matter, there's alot I want to collect.
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

Yeah, have lots of the old translated manga but if I want new stuff, the library here has a ton of issues as well, my bud who owns the local comic shop has a huge wall of recent stuff. No time to read any of it even if I wanted to...

Hey! Sentai stuff! Go here for that though:

http://augustragone.blogspot.ca/

He is the "go to" guy for that and Kaiju. Definitely looking forward to Pacific Rim next year. Should be a blast!
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

Some manga I picked up while out. I got the GNs at Goodwill (for $1 a piece), and the single issue Ranma 1/2 comics were .25 each, from Half Price Books.

I was so excited to find Mermaid's Saga. I found Vol. 4 first, and then while looking found the other Vol. 1 and Vol. 3. I looked at every nook and cranny of the book section to find Vol. 2, but didn't find it. I did find a bunch of other manga, but didn't pick it up. Just Orphen, since I love the fantasy manga.

And I was happy to get some more single issues for the rest of my Ranma 1/2 singles collection. I ended up bringing home two doubles though, since I didn't have my list on me. XD;
Attachments
tumblr_mou1um9w3C1s6nui9o1_500.jpg
tumblr_mou1um9w3C1s6nui9o1_500.jpg (72.03 KiB) Viewed 4100 times
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
kndy

Post by kndy »

My latest haul for the month:

I'm a big manga reader and I don't know how many I have (maybe close to a thousand...I don't know). When it comes to buying manga, I don't buy mint...I'm a reader but I also don't want a manga to be messed up.

So I try to look for huge lots of titles I'm interested in or if I have a hole in my collection, I often look to see if it's included in a lot. For used manga, I will not spend more than $4 per book (this includes shipping) so yeah...a lot of books I buy at 1 cent with $3.99 for shipping. So, I go by rules of $4...2 manga...most I'm spending is $8, 3 manga $12, 7 manga - $28 and if I get it less than that...I'm stoked.

So, I wanted to read "Whistle"...complete is 1-16...rules of $4...$64 is all I'm going to pay for it but it was on eBay for $15 + $6 shipping. I won it at $21 so with shipping $27 total. Better than paying $64. La Cordo 1-11...would be $44 my limit but it was on eBay for $32....once again I save. The most challenging are things like "Monster" or "GTO". "Monster" is a series I really want but don't want to spend too much for.

The only time I don't go by the rules of $4 are omnibus...for those, I go by the rules of $8.

I buy both Japanese and English manga. Granted, I get a lot of extras from the lots but they make good gifts:

usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Wow, great haul, kndy!

As for Monster, Viz recently announced they're re-releasing the series in an omnibus format, so if you wait until those come out they'll be a LOT cheaper than what some of the resellers on eBay/Amazon are asking for the originals. ;)
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
kndy

Post by kndy »

usamimi wrote:Wow, great haul, kndy!

As for Monster, Viz recently announced they're re-releasing the series in an omnibus format, so if you wait until those come out they'll be a LOT cheaper than what some of the resellers on eBay/Amazon are asking for the originals. ;)
Cool!!! That's great news!!!!