The Show Off Your Video Games Stuff Thread

Especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Re: The Show Off Your Video Games Stuff Thread

Post by llj »

Yeah, Etrnal City was a blind buy. A cute chick and a mecha on the cover pretty much sold it for me when I was 13. As for the game...it's okay. It gets bad reviews but generally it plays like a less fun Super Metroid. I think I got near the end but I couldn't figure out how to trigger the final boss fight in the last section of the game.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

I'm sure I must have the rom on my hacked Xbox. I'll give it a try on there. I am working on a list of games to make a second 100 PC Engine games in 10 minutes video, and I have added it to the list. I am currently working on the last few games of a 100, and I have added this game to the list!
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
yusaku
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Post by yusaku »

Here are some games I am into right now. The only games I spent any real time with are Catherine and Alice the Madness Returns. I really am into RPG type games. I want Neverwinter Nights for PS3, but they never made a console version of that game. It is rare that I play video games anymore. I spend most of my time working my job, practicing my cello, or working out. I usually play video games every three or four months now.
Attachments
I have beat both of these games. These two are my favorites.
I have beat both of these games. These two are my favorites.
009.JPG (1.09 MiB) Viewed 5088 times
I have always been a fan of Mortal Kombat!
I have always been a fan of Mortal Kombat!
010.JPG (1.12 MiB) Viewed 5088 times
I have been meaning to play these but have not gotten around to it.
I have been meaning to play these but have not gotten around to it.
017.JPG (1.02 MiB) Viewed 5088 times
I enjoy my zombie killing from time to time.
I enjoy my zombie killing from time to time.
013.JPG (1.16 MiB) Viewed 5088 times
***^__^***
llj

Post by llj »

I'll probably pick up a PS3 a few years from now once it's considered a "last generation" console. Wish they'd release Tales of Vesperia on the U.S. PS3 so we can have all this generation's Tales games on one machine.
llj

Post by llj »

Pics of some of my Dreamcast games

greg

Post by greg »

So llj, what do you use to play imports? Do you use the boot disc? I used that at first when I first moved to Japan in 2000 and started buying J games, but After a few months I bought a Japanese DC.

I have both Dreamcasts by each other on my shelf, but the Japanese one gets more use by far since I own more games I've bought here. The US DC is the only way I can play Sturmwind though, since my J DC is one of the last models ever made by Sega. It's the pink, limited edition Sakura Taisen Dreamcast (unfortunately yellowed, but I'll have to make some Retrobrite to fix that). It blocks any and all CD-Rs in order to prevent piracy.

That proprietary GD-ROM ring was pretty ingenious, allowing you to put a game into your computer and have the computer only read up to that one ring. But then the hackers figured out a way around that.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
llj

Post by llj »

I use a boot disc, yes. It's a little annoying but wasting a few seconds of my time switching discs isn't a big deal.

Someday I'll get a Sega Saturn, and I'll probably get a Japanese Saturn for that one, though, since so many of the better titles for that system are Japan only.

Looking at my pics again, I find it funny how all my imports were purchased in better condition than my domestic DC titles. My copy of Grandia 2 didn't even have the music CD. To be fair, though, I did get it at a good price so you get what you pay for, I suppose. I guess people who own imports are more likely to be older gamers and would take care of them better. I could always change jewel cases but in cases like Virtua Tennis there's no help for that one as you can see.
greg

Post by greg »

Yes, people in Japan take far better care of their crap than Americans. Of course you will find games that have been owned by stupid kids, but those are quite often on par with the games taken care of by American older teens and young adults.

The thing that bothered me about the boot disc is how it would grind the laser back and forth so dramatically. I wonder if that creates much wear and tear on the Dreamcast. Ironically, it was the newer, Japanese DC of mine that I had to have the laser replaced because it stopped reading discs.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Post by Daniel »

Originally written by greg on 2015/10/17, 18:08:33 PDT :

Re: The Show Off Your Video Games Stuff Thread :

I've started uploading a video series of my games collection.

Originally written by Kame-Sen'nin on 2015/10/20, 21:10:42 PDT :

quote greg I've started uploading a video series of my games collection.

Very nice collection Greg!!! I have a decent-sized game collection myself, but I don't think it even compares to yours. There's an outside chance that I may have more systems, but not nearly as many games. In particular, your Saturn collection absolutely dwarfs mine. Looks like I have some work to do to catch up!

Originally written by llj on 2015/10/21, 09:11:27 PDT :

Yeah, that's a ton of games compared to my collection. I've actually tried to start selling some for space issues, but I find it really hard to let go of a lot of games. On average I only own about 15-20 games per console--cherry picking only the very best ones most suited to my tastes. My PS2 collection by far is the largest with close to 50.

Originally written by greg on 2015/10/23, 00:19:02 PDT :

Thanks! Next I will do my PS1 collection, but somebody has asked me to skip ahead to my Dreamcast games. I don't think I will, though. I want to stick to doing them in the order that they are on my shelves.

Originally written by llj on 2015/10/24, 17:55:51 PDT :

One thing I've noticed is how truly crazy the prices for retro games continues to get. I'm almost beginning to think that the ideal time to collect retro games has already passed. There are some Genesis and SNES games I got about 5 years ago that now go for 5x the price I got them in 2010! Certain Dreamcast and Saturn games have also increased drastically in price.

I'm glad I got most of the games I wanted on the Dreamcast, PS1 and Genesis MD and SNES, but I'm afraid that waiting on getting a Saturn has pretty much destroyed any chance of me collecting for it without breaking my bank account in the future.

These retro game sellers and stores continue to box themselves into a more and more niche market corner. At some point the prices will get so inflated that they won't be able to move much merchandise beyond a certain era of gaming. Sure, there are fools out there still willing to plunk down 5 months worth of their salary for 1 retro game, but at some point even the biggest idiot has a financial limit.

A lot of the more expensive games aren't even that rare. Are Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger really that rare? NO. They actually had decent print runs and there are plenty of copies out there just sitting in retro game stores tagged with some ridiculous price point.

Originally written by greg on 2015/10/26, 00:09:37 PDT :

I hear some people say that the retro gaming bubble may burst sometime eventually. I hope it may do so. Even with the availability of these games on virtual console libraries, these still fetch a high price. I waited too long to get Kiki Kaikai Pocky Rocky 2 for the SFC and now that is ridiculously expensive. I bought the first Kiki Kaikai and some other games like Doremi Fantasy for the SFC several years ago through a proxy bidding service and didn't do too bad, but now those games go for too much. It may not be as bad for me since I live here in Japan. I managed to get MUSHA Aleste for the Megadrive a couple of years ago for about 5,000 yen because the sticker on the cartridge was peeling up a bit. I just used some white glue and viola, it improved it a lot. I see some games sitting on YAJ for very long periods of time for ridiculous amounts of money. People don't pay those prices, usually. when someone sets the price low and lets the bidding process commence naturally, the winners are often able to get the game for a somewhat decent price and much lower than what the gougers demand up front.

It's funny about RPGs for the Western market. They go up and up in price while the same games go for nothing here in Japan. You can find games like Chrono Trigger and FF6 for the SFC very cheaply. I picked up Valkyrie Profile for PS1 last summer for only 500 yen. IIRC, that one costs a lot in the USA.

There are a few RPGs in Japan that fetch a high price. The Madou Monogatari games, from which the characters in the Puyo Puyo games come, are expensive on the PCE, SFC, Saturn, and pretty much any console they were released on. Makeruna Makendo 3 on the PC-FX the first game in the series was a platformer called Kendo Rage in English for the SNES, and the 2nd game was a vs fighting game on the SFC is also pretty expensive. Usually, however, RPGs are quite often sold after they are beaten and can be as abundant as NBA Jam '96 or any other sports game out there. in North America.

Originally written by Drew_Sutton on 2015/11/02, 17:26:18 PST :

Actually, I have a question about retro-game bubbles, particularly how used retro game sales are in Japan.

A few of my friends are big into retrogaming I am interested only in used games I would actually play, that I missed when I was younger and didn't always have the cash or time to play, so we talk often about convention or eBay prices. We all think the 200 cartridge only Chrono Triggers and FFVIes are ludicrous for all the same reasons llj mentioned. Especially comparing with the multitude of places one can find used, especially old, games in Japan and at considering lower prices.

One thing I heard was that Japan has such a robust used market is because there is an incredibly small rental market. Any truth facts, numbers or anecdotes accepted to this? Or, if not the case, is there much less a collector's mentality behind it that has people selling their used games more frequently and thus turning over their personal inventories faster?

Originally written by greg on 2015/11/04, 19:29:45 PST :

Yeah, you can't rent video games in Japan. Role playing games tend to have a very low resale value. Maybe it's because RPGs are such a huge seller in Japan that they are as commonplace as NBA or NFL games are in North America. I remember when EBs and Gamestops were stopping their selections of older games, but I think my friend told me that Gamestop is starting to stock older consoles' games now. Is that true?

I still never got Pocky Rocky Becky for the GBA. I hope that game isn't too expensive now. I'd be happy with a cart only copy.

Originally written by llj on 2015/11/06, 10:39:49 PST :

quote greg I remember when EBs and Gamestops were stopping their selections of older games, but I think my friend told me that Gamestop is starting to stock older consoles' games now. Is that true?

They still stock PS2 Xbox GC era games, but it doesn't go any farther back than that.

Originally written by Kame-Sen'nin on 2015/11/07, 22:36:29 PST :

quote greg I remember when EBs and Gamestops were stopping their selections of older games, but I think my friend told me that Gamestop is starting to stock older consoles' games now. Is that true? quote
This is true. However, .