Anyone here read American or European comics?

Non-anime/manga-related TV, movies, books, and comics, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Re: Anyone here read American or European comics?

Post by llj »

I saw Valerian and liked it all right. I don't think it was anything special, but it hit the notes for me as a popcorn movie.
runesaint

Post by runesaint »

llj wrote:I saw Valerian and liked it all right. I don't think it was anything special, but it hit the notes for me as a popcorn movie.
If you have an amazon account, get the e-book for the first Valerian compilation. Valerian Volume 1: City of Shifting Waters, is still available for $0.00. It can't hurt to take some time to look at it. I have gotten a few more since then and plan on gradually getting the series eventually.
gaijinguy
Anime Fan Since: 1975

Post by gaijinguy »

I got the French and English versions of Valerian thinking I would use it to study French. My favorite BD artists are Kerascoët (a male-female duo) who work with various writers. Miss Don't Touch Me was quite brilliant. I got to meet them at an international comics event in Tokyo several years ago.
Retro/vintage manga YT channel GAIJINGUY http://youtube.com/c/gaijinguy
gaijinguy
Anime Fan Since: 1975

Post by gaijinguy »

runesaint wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:38 pm
llj wrote:I saw Valerian and liked it all right. I don't think it was anything special, but it hit the notes for me as a popcorn movie.
If you have an amazon account, get the e-book for the first Valerian compilation. Valerian Volume 1: City of Shifting Waters, is still available for $0.00. It can't hurt to take some time to look at it. I have gotten a few more since then and plan on gradually getting the series eventually.
As much as I can't stand the main actress, she wasn't bad in this and she was actually pretty good in Only Murders in the Building. I liked the film well enough. I could tell that Luc Besson really loved the comic.
Retro/vintage manga YT channel GAIJINGUY http://youtube.com/c/gaijinguy
runesaint

Post by runesaint »

Heh. In the last six years I got all of the Valerian collections. Some are definitely better than others, but I am quite fond of it. I prefer even my least favourite comic to the movie... it was not bad, but... all I can say is that it was not bad. I do think (as some fans said at the time) that one of the main flaws was having the main pair be 'teen-ish' around 20 or so while in the stories they seemed closer to 30s ish..more or less.
Ah well =)
I am glad that I have read them. One of these years I will go back and re-read the series.