Favorite games based on anime/manga

Especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles
ParaParaJMo
Anime Fan Since: 1986/1994

Favorite games based on anime/manga

Post by ParaParaJMo »

Since we have a thread for video games into anime, how about our list of favorite games based on anime/manga.

For me, I love the Initial D arcade stage series, The Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune series, the old school 2D fighter of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and the Ashita no Joe and Hokuto no Ken punching arcade games. Most of all, I enjoy the Gundam versus games.

For consoles, I really enjoy the Hajime no Ippo PS2 gaming series. I feel it accurately depicts the technicalities of boxing more than the Fight Night series. The 2nd ps2 game has a very deep career mode where you get to pick your boxer's diet and training routine and have to keep him on weight.

I also like Dragon Ball Z Legends, Dragon Ball Z Hyper Dimension, Gundam Wing Endless Duel, Gundam Giren's Greed, Gundam Blue Destiny, Gundam Rise from the Ashes, the PS2 and Dreamcast games of Berserk, and Sailor Moon Another Story.
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Re: Favorite games based on anime/manga

Post by llj »

Record of Lodoss Wars for the DC is an awesome Diablo clone. In face, in some ways it plays even better than Diablo on the PC.

The two Konami Shaman King platformers for the GBA are nice Castlevania-lite clones. Actually, I wouldn't compare them to Castlevania as much as most sites because while they play similarly sidescrolling wise and in terms of levelling up your guy, it plays more like old SNES platformers like Skyblazers, where you travel around a map clicking on areas to play through. Not at all like the Castlevania mazes.
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

There are some good games based on anime, but these are a few of my personal favorites:

-DragonBall Z: Super Butōden 2 (Super Famicom)
-Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon S (3DO)
-Gundam: Battle Assault (PlayStation)
-InuYasha: A Feudal Fairy Tale (PlayStation)

DragonBall Z: Super Butōden 2 is probably my favorite of the bunch, the fighting has a great pace. InuYasha seems to be a bit of a hidden gem, but the fun minigames and superb 2D graphics are easily worth the low price of acquiring this game.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

The first one I ever played was Ranma 1/2: Hard Battle for the SNES. I bought it before I even bought the console. When I did, I stayed up until 2am playing it. I played that game before ever playing a Street Fighter II game, so I had no bias.

The SNES/Super Famicom was home to quite a lot of great video games based on anime. In fact, that is why I started a homepage dedicated to them. :geek: http://stevethefish.net/superfamicom I haven't updated it in a very long time, though. Some of my favorites on it:
Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie
Hyper Iria
Ranma 1/2: Ougi Jaanken (the paper/rock/scissors puzzle game)

But my most favorite video game based on an anime is Capcom's Area 88 (aka U.N. Squadron) for the arcade and the SNES/SFC.

Another honorable mention is Ghost In The Shell for the Playstation.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
llj

Post by llj »

Everyone talks about Ghost in the Shell for the PS1 and rightly so, but Ghost in the Shell for the PS2 is also a pretty neat little 3rd person shooter.

There's also Yu Yu Hakusho for the mega drive which is a great 16 bit fighter
ParaParaJMo
Anime Fan Since: 1986/1994

Post by ParaParaJMo »

Man, I rented that Ghost in the Shell game on the ps1 from Blockbuster way back in sixth grade lol
Andrue
Anime Fan Since: 1995

Post by Andrue »

labsenpai

Post by labsenpai »

llj wrote:Record of Lodoss Wars for the DC is an awesome Diablo clone. In face, in some ways it plays even better than Diablo on the PC.
Lodoss is one of the few I bought again for my DC revival. As a treat for fans, Sword of the Berserk could be considered "new" for those just getting into the series.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

I am happy to have recently purchased Lodoss War for the DC for a really great price on eBay, like $30 or something. I look forward to playing it.

I was hoping that you could play as either Parn or Deedlit, or even Spark for that matter--- but that is not the case. Still, it should be real fun to play. I was just watching a video on YouTube that gave the lowdown on how the game is played.

I haven't bought an English-language Dreamcast game for a very, very long time.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
llj

Post by llj »

Maybe you already know this, but the character you play in DC Record of Lodoss Wars *is* in fact a character from the original OVA. I might be giving away the game's plot twist by saying this, but if you look at the color of his hair, and try to remember...

I thought it was kind of cool to play as him.

And Parn and Deedlit do briefly appear early on as AI controlled party members.