Seriously, where was the love for Gundam Build Fighters?

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
Ben
Anime Fan Since: Early 90's

Re: Seriously, where was the love for Gundam Build Fighters?

Post by Ben »

I don't mean to bum anyone out, but some streaming video providers are planning to crack down on VPNs, Hulu being the first to implement it:
Hulu, the largest public movie and TV streaming service in the United States, began blocking VPN users this week. The move is an attempt to prevent "pirates" from overseas from accessing videos without permission, but it is also blocking many legitimate users from surfing the Internet securely.
http://torrentfreak.com/hulu-blocks-vpn ... ns-140425/ No clue as to whether Crunchyroll will do this for non-US users or not.
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

I have faith in the world of computer nerds to conjure up workarounds for us poor souls outside the continental US.
Ben
Anime Fan Since: Early 90's

Post by Ben »

davemerrill wrote:I have faith in the world of computer nerds to conjure up workarounds for us poor souls outside the continental US.
I'm sure eventually, I just wanted to mention it before anyone goes out and get a paid VPN for Hulu, Netflix, Crunchyroll, etc. Probably better to wait and see how this shakes out, I wouldn't be surprised if it has as much to do with ISPs being angered about users hiding their video streaming after the Netflix vs. Comcast bandwith fight. It's already common knowledge that if you have AT&T or Verizon that you can get around Netflix slowdown with a VPN; Netflix would have a reason to SUPPORT VPN users, whereas Hulu being partly owned by Comcast would naturally be opposed to them. Hulu has a lot of older anime that isn't on Crunchyroll, too, so this is really a shame.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Steve, I am a dinosaur as well. I am becoming more and more fed up with the way things are going.

My pessimistic take on the future is thateventually, physical media will be non-existent and you will have to pay each time you listen to a song. You'll need to own a fancy shmancy scratch-n-sniff telephone like Apple's Colorful Shiny Object 6 just to listen to the damn song. Then if a guy uploads a video of himself singing the song to his baby on YouTube, he will get sued for copyright infringement because he's singing a song without the original copyright holders' permission. Then they will sue the baby for listening to the song without paying for it.

I'm a grumpy old man and I'm not even 40 yet. I still love my MiniDisc player...
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Post by SteveH »

greg wrote:Steve, I am a dinosaur as well. I am becoming more and more fed up with the way things are going.

My pessimistic take on the future is thateventually, physical media will be non-existent and you will have to pay each time you listen to a song. You'll need to own a fancy shmancy scratch-n-sniff telephone like Apple's Colorful Shiny Object 6 just to listen to the damn song. Then if a guy uploads a video of himself singing the song to his baby on YouTube, he will get sued for copyright infringement because he's singing a song without the original copyright holders' permission. Then they will sue the baby for listening to the song without paying for it.

I'm a grumpy old man and I'm not even 40 yet. I still love my MiniDisc player...
Oh, without question that's the direction the various Media Content Managers want it to be. And cellphone providers (expect to see more mergers between Cable and Satellite and Cell providers) eagerly await charging for all the bandwidth it will require, bills will end up in the hundreds of Dollars per month...

Well, that's depressing. sorry.

It's revenge for the home video revolution, see. Hollywood was never completely happy with home video even as they racked in BILLIONS of Dollars from content that would otherwise just sit in their vaults. But for all that money they just never got past losing that control over the product. Every time you watch a DVD an accountant in Hollywood cries.

What bothers me is how entertainment is leaning to becoming the property of the elite, because only the well-off are going to be able to afford the fat pipes of bandwidth that 'video on demand' requires. Right now, right damn now home video is for EVERYONE. studies showed that back in 1998 there were well over 300 Million VCRs in America. That's MORE than one per person. There used to be a video store on most every corner. You can't get much more 'democratic' than that.

I don't know what the current numbers for DVD players are but I'm sure it's at least one per household by now.

Netflix killed the video store because it offered a deeper catalog than what a store could hold. But it's not perfect, because you need a computer, internet access and a credit card. And the selection is not always what one may want, if you want something other than the mainstream titles. Anyone care to comment on how much of the Discotek anime catalog they have?

Ah well. I've got my collection. If Physical media stopped being sold right this moment I'm sure I've got MONTHS of stuff to watch without repeating. I'd sure miss some current shows and movies not being able to own, however.
greg

Post by greg »

I saw a commercial this morning that Animax will begin airing Gundam Build Fighters in July! This will be a great way to start watching this show.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
greg

Post by greg »

Some news from Bandai's booth at the Shizuoka Hobby Show currently in progress today is that there will be a second season of Gundam Build Fighters. It is currently in production.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

greg wrote:Some news from Bandai's booth at the Shizuoka Hobby Show currently in progress today is that there will be a second season of Gundam Build Fighters. It is currently in production.
Yeah, this info was teased a day or so ago but naturally in a way that confused a bunch of English speaking people. :)

It was only logical. 25 weeks wasn't a long enough promotional period for the slow release retail cycle, and Bandai, shockingly enough, kinda dropped the ball on ramping up and having ALL the main Build Fighter kits in stores within three weeks of the show starting (as was the custom with every other Gundam plamo/TV tie-in, going all the way back to Zeta Gundam)

It's OK. I'll watch it. :)
greg

Post by greg »

I just checked Animax's website and it says that Gundam Build Fighters begins airing Monday morning! Maybe then I'll have an informed opinion on the show.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

greg wrote:I just checked Animax's website and it says that Gundam Build Fighters begins airing Monday morning! Maybe then I'll have an informed opinion on the show.
Good! Excellent! It's probably a 'ramp up' to the new series.

Hope you enjoy it! :)