Gojira thread

Non-anime/manga-related TV, movies, books, and comics, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles
ServantOfPriss
Anime Fan Since: 1993

Gojira thread

Post by ServantOfPriss »

Anyone's watched the latest movie? I thought it was pretty cool.
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Re: Gojira thread

Post by _D_ »

Going Sunday with friends. I need to watch the 1954 movie again. Good thing I have my bud's Blu Ray handy...
ParaParaJMo
Anime Fan Since: 1986/1994

Post by ParaParaJMo »

sadly not in japan until july
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

Still haven't seen this one yet :(

I just re-watched the American adaptation of the original Gojira last night, and now I really can't wait to see the new movie!
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

We caught up with this one yesterday. Overall I liked it. The soundtrack was great, the title sequence was terrific, the giant monster stuff is powerful, well-shot from a human being POV, and immensely destructive. The film could have used a half-hour trim, mostly of people telling each other things, and I'm not sure Bryan Cranston needs to be in the movie at all. Also the family behind us in the theater that couldn't stop talking or kicking the seats, they needed to be crushed by a giant monster. Repeatedly.

We saw a regular screening, no IMAX, no 3D.
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

Saw it in 3D. Nice addition to the big lizard's films. Lots of references to other films, especially the first one. But in a way it seemed to be a remake of Godzilla vs. Rodan. I (and my friend's kids) enjoyed it though. Enjoyed it much more than Pacific Rim...
ParaParaJMo
Anime Fan Since: 1986/1994

Post by ParaParaJMo »

Finally came out in Japan last Friday and I watched it.

Needed more and more Heisenberg
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

MIGHT HAVE SPOILERS, DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT!

Pros:

- I love Godzilla in this movie~ Liked the way he looked and his scenes were badass.
- Love the nod to the original movies, like the computers and such in the first scene, came straight out of the old movies. One of my favorite things.
- Actors I loved in this movie were Bryan Cranston and Ken Watanabe

Cons:

- Too much of the main character staring in awe, without showing what he's staring at. Yes, let's look at your face for the bazillionth time while you stare.
- Not enough Godzilla
- Got rid of the best actor too quickly, didn't care for anyone else much
- Didn't feel like the main guy and his wife really cared all that much for eachother
- Where in the world is the Japan they showed in the beginning of the movie? LOL

I really loved Bryan Cranston, I would have preferred him as the hero for the whole movie. He stole the show, after that Aaron-Taylor Johnson and Elizabeth Olson just fell flat. I like the movie overall, but it wasn't quite satisfying.

Funny story: When Ken Watanabe's character is going to say Godzilla's name for the first time, right when he says it, my friend's mom made a HUGE sneeze, and pretty much no one in the audience heard his name. :lol: My friend and I turned to his mom in disgust. Also, my friend's husband was an extra background soldier, because part of the movie was shot in Honolulu, Hawaii.
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram