Sailor Moon to be licensed by Viz Media

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
ServantOfPriss
Anime Fan Since: 1993

Sailor Moon to be licensed by Viz Media

Post by ServantOfPriss »

I think this warrants its own thread.

http://lesleysmusings.com/2014/05/16/vi ... me-series/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWPyM9afQ-w

Viz Media is licensing Sailor Moon for a US release.
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Re: Sailor Moon to be licensed by Viz Media

Post by _D_ »

Yes, saw this at ANN...
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

YES! oh man, I was so hyped about it yesterday (I hopped on Viz's livestream when they kept saying they were going to be making a "ground breaking" announcement...so glad I was watching it live as they announced it, it was awesome.) I got so excited about it, I completely forgot to come on here to geek out over it, too! I posted a link and some info on my podcasts' tumblr blog: http://animenostalgia.tumblr.com/post/8 ... -franchise

So, so, SO excited that someone FINALLY licensed it again and is giving it the treatment it deserves. And Sailor Stars! FINALLY! I've had bootleg VHS/DVDs of that thing forever, now I can finally give them away or something, lol.

Interesting urban legend: one of my friends who works at Funimation claims that, for a very brief amount of time, Funimation actually bought Sailor Moon and dubbed a single episode with Monica Rial as Sailor Moon...rumor has it someone leaked the info when they weren't supposed to, and Toei got mad and canceled the deal. Other rumors say that Toei didn't like their dub cast choices. Dunno how true these are, but the fact that it's kind of a rumor/urban legend amuses me.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

This was big enough news to even have Variety announcing it.

I'm just happy to finally get a chance to get Stars and season 1, which are the episodes I really want (missed the ADV release, already own all of Pioneer's Sailor Moon S). And maybe this time we will have that Sailor Venus filler episode that was omitted from the ADV release also.
ServantOfPriss
Anime Fan Since: 1993

Post by ServantOfPriss »

I bought the DVDs they released here in Mexico some years ago, and they look great, but they have nothing on the remaster, if you ask me.
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

It's great to see that Sailor Moon is finally getting a complete release in English! This will be a future purchase for sure. I'm impressed that Viz was able to get the original Sailor Moon series as well as Sailor Moon Crystal.
usamimi wrote:Interesting urban legend: one of my friends who works at Funimation claims that, for a very brief amount of time, Funimation actually bought Sailor Moon and dubbed a single episode with Monica Rial as Sailor Moon...rumor has it someone leaked the info when they weren't supposed to, and Toei got mad and canceled the deal. Other rumors say that Toei didn't like their dub cast choices. Dunno how true these are, but the fact that it's kind of a rumor/urban legend amuses me.
This is incredibly intriguing. I always love urban legends like this, especially if they turn out to be true! If only I could have unlimited access to the Funimation archives... :lol:
ParaParaJMo
Anime Fan Since: 1986/1994

Post by ParaParaJMo »

I wonder what became of the cast of the Saban attempt at Sailor moon
Kame-Sen'nin

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

ParaParaJMo wrote:I wonder what became of the cast of the Saban attempt at Sailor moon
I'd be interested to know this as well. Was a cast list ever released/discovered for the infamous "Saban Moon" adaptation from Toon Makers?
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Kame-Sen'nin wrote:
ParaParaJMo wrote:I wonder what became of the cast of the Saban attempt at Sailor moon
I'd be interested to know this as well. Was a cast list ever released/discovered for the infamous "Saban Moon" adaptation from Toon Makers?
Not that I know of, but I've never dug too deep into that one. There's a blog here: http://www.moonsisters.org/moonsisters/ ... ormoon.htm With some info, no cast list I don't think, but there's a surprisingly LARGE gallery of animation cels that were made in the hopes of the show getting picked up...someone had held onto a bunch of them and sold them on eBay a while back, and they saved all the images they could from it.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Kame-Sen'nin

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

usamimi wrote:
Kame-Sen'nin wrote:
Not that I know of, but I've never dug too deep into that one. There's a blog here: http://www.moonsisters.org/moonsisters/ ... ormoon.htm With some info, no cast list I don't think, but there's a surprisingly LARGE gallery of animation cels that were made in the hopes of the show getting picked up...someone had held onto a bunch of them and sold them on eBay a while back, and they saved all the images they could from it.
Sometimes you can still find those cels on eBay! I believe this is one such instance.