Gundam Unicorn

Discuss anime, especially but not limited to 1950's~1990's series, and related sub-topics
ServantOfPriss
Anime Fan Since: 1993

Gundam Unicorn

Post by ServantOfPriss »

Holy shit, it's over!

Gundam Unicorn is OVER!

I mean, fuckin-finally.

Go watch it, guys. It's really, really awesome.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Re: Gundam Unicorn

Post by greg »

So there's only seven episodes? Are these episodes about an hour each or so? Or is this just a 30 minute OVA series? I have the first one on DVD back when Bandai was still making domestic DVDs. I still haven't watched it, though. They only released one or two DVDs. Fortunately, the Japanese ones have subtitles.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
ServantOfPriss

Post by ServantOfPriss »

7 episodes, one hour each.

It was originally going to be six episodes, but after the critical disaster episode 4 was, they extended it and postponed all the following episodes to get everything better.

Still, outside of that episode, everything else is very, very awesome.
greg

Post by greg »

Uh oh. How bad is episode 4? Like, "forgetting to pick up your kid after practice" bad, or "farting in front of everybody at your own wedding ceremony" bad?
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
ServantOfPriss

Post by ServantOfPriss »

It's a mixed, really enormous mess.

On one hand, it's consistent with the production values of the previous episodes; glorious mecha combat; introduces some of the best tracks in the show's entire soundtracks (and which are, in my opinion, heavily underused in it).

But in a story-telling point of view, it completely falls apart.

If you've watched the rest of UC before, you'll be rolling your eyes at how predictable it is. It plays the whole tragic Cyber Newtype girl cliché, but in a very bad way, for one. And it fills like an absolute filler.
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

I thought all the episodes from 1-6 were pretty solid, honestly. But then again, I never know where I am in the story because of the large gap between each episode, so it's hard for me to grade each episode as it relates to the whole. Once I get episode 7, I'll watch the whole series through in one or two sittings.

How long is episode 7? Wasn't it supposed to be feature length?
ServantOfPriss

Post by ServantOfPriss »

Around an hour and twenty minutes or something. I'm not sure, actually, since I didn't keep track of time.
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

We were watching it and got distracted during the wait between episodes, and now I'm going to have to watch the whole thing again because I can't remember exactly where we left off. I was really enjoying it, though. It's the Gundam I've been waiting for since Char's Counterattack ended in 1988.
Kid Fenris
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Post by Kid Fenris »

ServantOfPriss wrote:It's a mixed, really enormous mess.

On one hand, it's consistent with the production values of the previous episodes; glorious mecha combat; introduces some of the best tracks in the show's entire soundtracks (and which are, in my opinion, heavily underused in it).

But in a story-telling point of view, it completely falls apart.

If you've watched the rest of UC before, you'll be rolling your eyes at how predictable it is. It plays the whole tragic Cyber Newtype girl cliché, but in a very bad way, for one. And it fills like an absolute filler.
That was the point where I stopped watching. It's a gorgeous series, but it's far too much in love with the same cliches and sledgehammer storytelling that bogged down the original/Zeta/Counterattack smorgasbord.

I should finish it, though. Been itching to watch and re-watch Gundam stuff lately.
greg

Post by greg »

I think I may start to watch it this weekend. FINALLY I will have a non-exciting/non-studying weekend coming up. I just want to relax and geek out.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page