Hello!

Tell the old school world who you are, and let us welcome you into the forum!
Armblessed
Anime Fan Since: Fill me in!

Hello!

Post by Armblessed »

Hello!
My name is Adam. I grew up in Anchorage, AK and there was a local cartoon channel that used to show cartoons that seemed really different and mature in comparison with the rest of the Looney Tunes and Smurfs and the like. I remembered some of it and later was able to track down the names like Windaria, Galaxy Express 999, Dracula: Sovereign of the Damned, Frankenstein, and of course Captain Harlock and Robotech among a few others. I remember being fascinated, but at this point I didn't understand what it was beyond "a different type of cartoons".

Fast forward a few years and a friend and I found out about some showing of some thing called "aniime". Curious, we went and I saw the first couple episodes of Oh! My Goddess which completely floored me. We found a local video store which carried like every anime that had been brought over at the time. For years, we'd go there several times a week and rent videos. Shortly thereafter I found manga at the local comic shop, my mind was blown again, and after awhile found myself leaving anime behind in favor of manga. Some of my all time manga favorites are Lone Wolf and Cub, Battle Angel Alita, Maison Ikkoku, Heartbroken Angels, and a recent addition, Genshiken. Growing up in Alaska (and being an introvert to boot), there wasn't much of a fan community that I was aware of. Then some years later they started showing anime on Cartoon Network and so there were a lot more anime fans, but all anybody wanted to talk about was DBZ and Sailor Moon which frustrated me.

These days I don't watch near as much anime. I try to keep an eye out for anything new and good, but most of the time I just cant get into it. I'd rather dig up some older stuff and watch it instead. Though recently I did watch Summer Wars and Redline, both of which I really enjoyed. I still read a lot of manga, but again I lean towards older titles and its hard sifting through all the crap they put out in English a few years back. I always laugh when I go to a used bookstore and see all the crappy manga they have on their clearance shelves. They cant even give some of that stuff away. That being said, I'm always open to manga recommendations.

It wasnt until just a few years ago that I went to my first anime convention, which was just a small thing in Alaska. Like I said, I dont follow anime as much as I used to, but enough to know what I was getting myself into. As I suspected it was a lot of younger folks capering about, with all the talk and merchandise being for newer anime that I really don't care for. Still, I did find some good deals and I did meet a few older sourdoughs who I was able to connect with and talk about older stuff and the "kids these days." Now I'm in Oregon and I'm planning on going to Sakuracon. I'm already steeling myself for what its going to be like, but I've never been to anything anime related that's near that big and I feel like I just have to check it out for the spectacle. Still, there are some guests that I'm interested in and I hope to come away with some good loot.

Thanks for reading!
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Re: Hello!

Post by davemerrill »

Hello, and welcome!
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Re: Hello!

Post by Daniel »

Hey Adam!

Welcome! I'm glad that you decided to join up! Please make yourself right at home.

Daniel