RIP, Gekiga-manga pioneer Yoshihiro Tatsumi

Discuss manga, especially but not limited to pre-2000 titles, and related sub-topics
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

RIP, Gekiga-manga pioneer Yoshihiro Tatsumi

Post by usamimi »

Sad to hear of the passing of a very talented mangaka, Yoshihiro Tatsumi.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... way/.85748
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Re: RIP, Gekiga-manga pioneer Yoshihiro Tatsumi

Post by llj »

The funny thing is that I think Western alt-comic fans were more familiar with him than anime/manga fans.

Tatsumi was one of those alt-mangaka who got serious push in North America during the early 2000s manga boom, so I read a lot of his stuff through those Adrian Tomine-produced releases. The 'Tatsumi' animated movie I guess helped cement his legacy permanently, as he was in danger of being forgotten at one point.

A real pioneer.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

llj wrote:The funny thing is that I think Western alt-comic fans were more familiar with him than anime/manga fans.

Tatsumi was one of those alt-mangaka who got serious push in North America during the early 2000s manga boom, so I read a lot of his stuff through those Adrian Tomine-produced releases. The 'Tatsumi' animated movie I guess helped cement his legacy permanently, as he was in danger of being forgotten at one point.

A real pioneer.
I've noticed that, too! Kind of odd. I'd been meaning to check out the Tatsumi movie, I heard it wasn't bad. I might have to do that now.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

The movie is just okay, but definitely worth a watch. It sort of does a Coles' Notes version of his A Drifting Life, and "adapts" a few of his more celebrated manga stories (mostly still pictures using his original artwork with sound effects and voices)