A-kon 2015

Conventions and other events, fandom, stores, manga-ka, animators, and other people, etc
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

A-kon 2015

Post by usamimi »

Anyone else going to A-kon this year? Nitro & I will be there as usual! :mrgreen:
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
yusaku
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Re: A-kon 2015

Post by yusaku »

i was thinking of attending because i was thinking of moving to Texas after my very possible early retirement. I heard some really good things about Dallas. My issues are with the heat, scorpions, and snakes. I lived in Mississippi before so I could adjust to the heat. I kind of wonder about the utility bills. I digress. Akon is the oldest con in the county, so I think i should see a lot of older fans there like myself. I am certainly thinking it over.
***^__^***
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

I'll be there again as well. :D

Usamimi, I hope to see you and Nitro again, it was fun meeting up last year! Yusaku, I really hope you'll be able to join as well!
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Kame-Sen'nin wrote:I'll be there again as well. :D

Usamimi, I hope to see you and Nitro again, it was fun meeting up last year! Yusaku, I really hope you'll be able to join as well!
Awesome! :) And Yusaku if you do decide to stop by, be sure to let us know so we can try to meet up and say hi at some point!
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

yusaku wrote:My issues are with the heat, scorpions, and snakes.
I'm from Arizona, and there are certainly scorpions in Phoenix. It depends on where you live. When my family moved into the second home I ever lived in when I was 4, we'd sometimes find scorpions in our house. But when the nearby fields were developed into neighborhoods, we no longer saw any. Before moving to Japan, the chiropractor I would go to lived next to a golf course. He'd get them in his yard and in his house. He could take a blacklight out into his backyard and see them glowing. They live in holes, you see, so when they get into your house, they see your shoes as real estate. My chiropractor would have to knock his shoes against the door frame to see if there were any scorpions inside. Otherwise, he'd risk putting his shoe on and getting stung. He'd whack them if they fell out after banging his shoes against the wall or whatever. Having a cat helps, since they can kill the scorpions without getting hurt. Snakes are only in the rural areas, but there are occasional black widow spiders. Oh gosh. Here in Japan, there are centipedes. Haven't encountered any in a very long time though, and not inside my home. One guy I know used to live on the Izu peninsula and would get centipedes inside. Even once on his pillow. Freaky.

Anyhow, pleasant dreams tonight. ;)
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Yeah, it very much matters where you live. I've been here almost 6 years now? And I've yet to ever see a snake or a scorpion, lol. I have seen various spiders, though... :lol: :?
yusaku

Post by yusaku »

Thanks Greg and Usamimi!

Pests bother me! i have been thinking about Texas for a while. A lot of the things I like to do make Texas more desirable place to live. I am going to trying to visit ahead of the convention to look around. Thanks for the input.
***^__^***
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

So, I somehow missed the news until just recently, but Mitsushisa Ishikawa will be at A-kon this year! http://www.a-kon.com/?p=8485

I'm gonna try to get my new Patlabor movie blu-ray signed if he does an autograph session! *crosses fingers*
yusaku

Post by yusaku »

Kame-Sen'nin wrote:I'll be there again as well. :D

i want to be there, but i am doubtful because i thought it was in September. I did not know it was next month, but I just got a preapproved credit card in the mail. I may still be able to make it if they give me a high enough limit. I would love to meet you guys. I may have to make another convention instead.
***^__^***
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Aww, that's a shame! Yeah, it's always in June. Anime Fest is in September, but idk if I'll be going to that one. I kinda want to go to AFest next year instead of A-kon, though, if I can. I've heard it's pretty great and there's a lot more focus on anime specifically, rather than how most cons lately seem to be branching out into other "geek" territories.

I already got my work schedule for the con--I'll be working on staff from 8am to 2pm every day, I'm hoping the autograph sessions and panels I want to go to are later in the day. ;__;