54th Shizuoka Hobby Show 2015 May 14th-17th

Conventions and other events, fandom, stores, manga-ka, animators, and other people, etc
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

54th Shizuoka Hobby Show 2015 May 14th-17th

Post by greg »

Like every year, I attended the Shizuoka Hobby Show this past weekend. This was my fourth time attending.

54th Shizuoka Hobby Show 2015 Company Showroom Part 1
54th Shizuoka Hobby Show 2015 Company Showroom Part 2

I did talk with a Bandai rep about how the model releases for Yamato 2199 have tapered off. He said that it's gotten quiet because there will be more 2199 anime coming in the future, including the Andromeda. I took this to mean that the second series of Yamato will be remade into a 2199 version. I did beg him for a 1:72 Gamilus starfighter and a Cosmo Seagull. If anything, at least a Mekakore Seagull. He said he would take note of my request. Let's just cross our fingers.

So in the recent 2199 Ark of the Stars movie, we saw the Yamato crew teaming up with Gamilans to fight against the Gatlantians. Let's hope that there's more of this in the new series (I'm hoping it'll be a series and not just a movie). Maybe this will give an excuse for more 1:72 scale models.

There will be another video of the individual exhibitior's hall later. I have a bunch of pics I'll have to upload too.

I was stopped by two people who recognized me from my YouTube channel. One guy lives in Hamamatsu and another guy had flown all the way from Australia to attend the event. He contacted me back in January about the particulars of attending the show. He and his wife are from the Philippines and live in Sydney. He's watched me covering the event every year and he thanked me for my videos. I rarely show my face on my YT channel, but he could recognize me.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Re: 54th Shizuoka Hobby Show 2015 May 14th-17th

Post by Drew_Sutton »

An acquaintance on Facebook posted this earlier this morning from Shizuka Hobby Show this year: A scale model of the Daicon III ship. Man, do I want that!

http://ca-tsuka.tumblr.com/post/1192247 ... hobby-show

I wanted to post it here when I had some time at the office, only to find that you already started a Shizuka thread, greg. Thought it would be apropos to reply with it. I think it's cool you are getting some recognition for your YouTube channel, too.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
greg

Post by greg »

I have a video of the Daicon ship! Here's the private individuals' exhibition hall video. You can see all the blinking lights on it. I believe I took photos too. I have yet to sort through them to put together an image gallery.

It was a pretty good experience for me. Some people were comlplaining about the lack of Yamato 2199 stuff, but as I mentioned before, a Bandai rep said there will be more 2199 anime on the way.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

That's really cool. Is that hall of garage or home-made kits, mass production kits or both? I would love putting that Daicon model together, thought I dread the wiring and electronics.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
greg

Post by greg »

I think the private exhibition hall is mostly about plastic models, however there is quite a lot of creativity to be found. Plenty of garage kits (GKs) and scratch-built stuff. Every year, there's one guy who builds starships out of plastic Yakult yoghurt drink cups and scrap parts.

The Wonder Festivals (winter and summer) focus mostly on garage kits. People are granted a one day license to sell kits based off of stuff. There are a lot of various things for sale there besides anime, like SF movies and such. However, I fear that since Obama is being granted fast track approval for TPP, this will have a grave effect on the Wonder Festival. I don't know if it will put an end to the event altogether, but there is going to be some serious crap now that everyone is willing to surrender their sovereignty and democratic processes to the whim of scumbag corporate lawyers.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page